Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Taylor Swift’s New Album: The Tortured Poets Department

The album cover as posted by Spotify

On April 19, Taylor Swift released her new, highly-anticipated album called the Tortured Poets Department (TTPD for short), and, since then, the reviews have been pouring in. This is her eleventh studio album and was produced by herself, Jack Antonoff, and Aaron Dessner. At midnight, she released 16 songs with two features from Post Malone and Florence and the Machine. However, fans became more excited as they checked her Instagram and found a timer set for three am. Theories started to pop up all over social media as to what this could be for. She did not disappoint when, at three am, she released 15 more songs to create a double album called TTPD: The Anthology.
This album has been breaking records left and right. For example, this project has been the first album on Spotify to hit 1 billion streams in a week. The album is also currently holding its spot at number one on the Billboard 200.
Here at Hingham High School, the album has been highly praised. Sophomore Finley Erick said, “I really enjoyed The Tortured Poets Department. I thought The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived really showed how great of a songwriter Taylor Swift is. The bridge is my favorite part of any song on the whole album”.
Additionally, sophomore Meghan Koenen said, “The diversity of the songwriting on this album makes it appealing to a much larger audience”. Clearly, this album can be appreciated by fans of various genres. Lots of her music ranges from country to pop to folk, and her ability to do all of that in a single album is very impressive.
Similarly, sophomore Lauren Armstrong said, “This is definitely one of my favorite albums of hers. I love the second half, The Anthology, especially Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus. I love the songwriting in that one specifically”.
With all these positive reviews, Swift is anticipating returning to the US for the second leg of the Eras Tour. Fans are speculating whether or not she will add this new album into her setlist, and a recent video she posted of rehearsals practically confirmed this with new choreography.