Hingham’s Annual Christmas in the Square

Claire Stone

Loring Hall sign showing Polar Express for the Christmas themed night

Claire Stone, Contributing Writer

This year’s Christmas in the Square was a success! Even after over 30 years, the holiday spirit continues to shine through at Christmas in the Square. An event for the whole family, people from all around Hingham came and enjoyed the festive cheer. Although the night was cold, the turnout was the largest I had ever seen. From taking photos with Santa to drinking hot cocoa with friends, everyone there had a smile on their face.

The annual candy cane sales went smoothly, as expect. Run by our school’s student council, candy canes were sold throughout the night, and, surely, gave many kids a sugar high, as there were kids running around all night! Kids were seen carrying glow sticks and long swords reminiscent of light sabers. The night was full of colorful lighting strung throughout the crowd and the classic cream lights were hung on the trees as is tradition. Decorations were hung in shop windows, on street lamps, and there was a mailbox for kids to send letters to Santa. The Christmas spirit was brought out not only in the decorations, but through the crowd’s cheer.

The annual tree decorating festival was also beautiful. There were trees decorated more creatively than I had ever seen. They all made the night feel even more basked in the holiday spirit.
Overall, it was a lovely and picturesque starry night and the laughter of all that went made the night even more beautiful. This year’s Christmas in the Square brought me into the holiday spirit and made me excited for the month ahead.

Happy holidays!