Dig Pink: Hingham Volleyball’s Annual Event

Cassidy McCabe

Nora Schultz, Alex Kennedy, Mathilde Megard, Megan Koenen, Lizzie Beyer, and Kate DiBartolomeo congratulate each other on a point won.

Cassidy McCabe, Contributing Writer

On Friday, October 7th, the Hingham High School girl’s volleyball team played their annual dig pink game against Marshfield. The Freshman played at 4:00 PM, Junior Varsity at 5:00 PM, and finally Varsity at 6:30 PM. This game is a massive event for the program, as it is their fundraiser for The Side-Out foundation. The foundation raises money and awareness for breast cancer, joining with volleyball teams across the nation in dedicating certain season games to an all-pink theme, demonstrating their support for those who struggle with this disease. The volleyball program has won an award for its commitment to the charity, which can be seen as a banner proudly hung up in the gymnasium of Hingham High School.

A student spectator Lydia describes the environment of the Dig Pink game as “the pinkest room I have ever been in. You couldn’t go anywhere without being stared at by bright colors.” With new pink jerseys in stock and various posters advertising, the varsity volleyball game attracts a large and loud student section, demonstrating the immense how support of students toward Hingham High athletics. This game is a significant day for the school, and Varsity and Junior Varsity came out on top this year. Freshmen faced an unfortunate loss. Varsity Captain Mathilde Megard shares that she is “proud of all three teams for the fight they put on. I think it’s really important to have this event because it spreads awareness of breast cancer to the student body that comes and supports us.”