Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

HHS Hosts a Career day

HHS Hosts a Career day

This week Hingham High School will host their annual Career Day, where students can explore new and interesting career paths. The event will be held after school from 3 to 3:20 on Tuesday, March 12th. During this short meeting students will get a brief overview of the career and will be able to ask questions to someone currently working in that field. 

All students wanting to attend must sign up on the Hingham High School website or via an email sent out last Friday from Mrs. Savery. She also encourages students to “[not] miss out on this great opportunity!”She continues stating that, “The Career Day event is a great way to explore careers, step out of their comfort zone and hear about an area that they have never thought of before.” 

The events will host around 45 professionals in their fields. Students may sign up to meet with a specific career professional and are searched to do so as soon as there are only around 20 spots per person. These 45 or so professionals are representatives of a large variety of industries including arts and cultural careers such as Cosmetology, Business Management, Sales, Marketing Finance, Communications, and Education. Law enforcement and law-based career professionals such as State Police, Fire, Attorneys, Justice, Military Service, and Special Agents will attend. Science Careers such as Behavioral Health, Therapy, Medical Sciences, Environmental Sciences, and Computer Sciences/ Technology will also have representatives. To round out the large array of career paths, spokespeople from the Trades such as Electricians, Plumbing, and Construction will also be available to discuss their own career decisions. 

Although the most popular careers (based on the number of people signed up) are Medical and Computer Sciences, the large variety allows students interested in any career to find something interesting or to learn something new. According to Ellie Smith, a senior majoring in nursing at Georgetown this upcoming fall and who attended Career Day last year, Career Day was very informative for her. She states that “I have always known I wanted to be a nurse, so being able to discuss this career with someone currently in that field was very cool.”  Ellie continues to explain that even if you don’t know your intended field of study, Career Day can still be a helpful resource. 

Junior Elena May is currently hoping to sign up for the medical science info session. She explains to me that she is very “excited to learn a first-hand account of the medical industry and explore possible other opportunities that [she has] currently not thought about.” She is joined by many others hoping to get a head start on their own career paths post-college or even post-high school. 

If this sounds at all interested in this event please connect with Mrs. Savery and sign up online by Tuesday mourning. Even with no prior career interest, it will help set the framing of your possible future and possibly eliminate careers that you didnt find very interesting. Either way, it is sure to be an exciting afternoon. I hope to see you there!