Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell prepares to reveal a draft pick during the 2022 NFL draft. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
NFL Draft Preview
Cavan Nicholas, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

HHS Unity Project Organizes First Ever “Adelia Week”

Adelia’s Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/adeliathewondergirl
Adelia, The Wonder Girl, a second grade student at South Elementary School is courageously battling a brain cancer diagnosis.

From April 29th to May 3rd, the HHS Unity Project, a student club made up of approximately 25 students, is planning the first ever “Adelia Week” fundraiser. Adelia, a 2nd grader at South Elementary, was diagnosed in late February 2023 with a rare and aggressive form of brain cancer called high grade diffuse midline glioma (DMG).  Adelia has already endured 60+ radiation sessions and 5 brain surgeries to battle her disease and is appropriately nicknamed “Adelia the Wonder Girl.” 

On her GoFundMe page, her aunt shares that “her infectious personality, endless energy, and bright smile light up any room. It’s no surprise that she’s approached this entire situation with the utmost bravery and strength and we want to do all that we can to help her continue the fight.” Adelia is already strongly supported by the Hingham community, especially her South Elementary School classmates and families, and now Hingham High School students will have an opportunity to make a difference and be “Adelia Strong” too.

Adelia is starting a much anticipated immunotherapy clinical trial in Seattle as an alternative therapy to fight her aggressive disease for which there is no known cure. This trial is the first in the world that is targeting four major mutations of this tumor and her family is hoping for a breakthrough.  Her mom, Meryl Summers shared, “Everyday we are reminded of the constant nightmare that the brain cancer community is living in. Not just DMG/DIPG, but all of the other incurable brain tumors as well. Unlike many other types of cancer, there are no protocols or treatment plans for these types of tumors. Level I clinical trials are the best we have.” 

Understandably, this treatment, and all of Adelia’s previous treatments, come at no small cost, so Adelia’s family is asking for help to ensure she receives the care and medical support she needs and deserves.

This is where the HHS Unity Project fundraiser plays a role. Every donation during “Adelia Week,” no matter how small, can make a difference in Adelia’s life. In addition to covering costs for clinical trials and other immunotherapy methods, contributions will be used to provide emotional and practical support to Adelia and her entire family, including her parents and her younger sister Esme.

Funds raised this year will also be directed towards the new Brain Tumor Center at Boston Children’s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute. This joint clinic is being spearheaded by the best pediatric neurosurgeon in the world, and one of the most dedicated and motivated researchers to find a cure for this disease.”

The week-long fundraiser at HHS will include Adelia stickers and shirts sold in the lobby throughout the week, hand-picked music featuring Adelia’s favorite songs, a chalk mural in front of the school, a bake sale on Friday, and more. Sophomore and Unity Project member Evan Benham is “looking forward to seeing students and faculty wearing the Adelia merchandise (bracelets, stickers, clothing) in support of Adelia. It will be uplifting to see the support of the HHS towards a fellow member of the Hingham community.”

Junior Tommy Parker, also a Unity Project member, shares similar thoughts. He notes that “it is pretty unprecedented that we would devote a week to one local focus and I’m excited to see what support we can generate for Adelia and her family.”

The HHS Unity Project has been planning for over a month in preparation for this special week and hopes for full participation from the HHS community to be Adelia Strong and help make a difference for Adelia and her family.