Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Hingham High School Student Council

Student Council board outside room 164 By: Paige McManus

Are you searching for ways to be as involved and interactive across all sections of Hingham High School as possible? The Student Council is the best option for you. Whether organizing in-school events, hanging up posters to advertise activities, or attending and planning town-wide adventures, the Student Council club engages students in their school to the next level.

Hingham’s Student Council coordinates and thoughtfully executes many events and activities throughout the year. Staff appreciation breakfasts, the Anna Q dog walk, numerous school spirit weeks, charity donations, pantry drives, and many more are organized throughout the Student Council. Students within the club are encouraged to participate in these events and must meet a certain point status by the end of each term. The points are individually earned through participating in the school events and activities. Tommy Hartnett, a sophomore member of the Student Council, says, “Maintaining the right amount of points in student council takes effort but is 100% achievable. It makes me feel great to be active in my community and school!”

Poster for the Anna Q dog walk outside the cafeteria
By: Paige McManus

This first week of May, 2024, was a big week for Hingham High School Student Council! The club held two meetings taking place on Wednesday and Friday. On Wednesday, all students running for Student Council leadership positions for the school year of 2024-2025 made their engaging and persuasive speeches on how they are ready to improve the Student Council and the school as a whole. The leadership positions include a president, a vice president, a secretary, a treasurer, a historian, a junior executive, and a publicity coordinator. After these speeches, the audience made their voting decisions for next year’s representatives. On Friday May 3rd, the club’s final meeting with the senior members took place. The decisions were announced and positions for next year were set in place. Sophomore member of student council Phoebe Rosetti says, “I loved being able to vote for next year’s leaders, each candidate made a great speech and choosing who to vote for was difficult, but having a choice was really great!”

Joining student council is one of the best ways to feel and be involved in the school environment, the Hingham community, and even help improve our town and school as a whole. Each committee including “Spirit”, “Improving HHS / Communications”, “Staff Appreciation”, “Unity Project”, “Community Service”, and finally “Fundraising” works together to form the best environment.  If you are interested in making your community a better place and getting involved in the school, Student Council is the place for you!