UVA Student Violently Arrested

UVA Student Violently Arrested

Rose Flynn, Contributing Writer

Last week, Alcoholic Beverage Control officers, or ABC, made a bloody arrest of University of Virginia student Martese Johnson. The ABC arrested the 20 year old student for public intoxication and obstruction of justice while trying to get into a pub. The agents also claimed that Johnson attempted to use a fake ID to gain entrance. The ABC have their claims; however, the co-owner of the pub begs to differ. He says that Johnson was not intoxicated and was in fact respectful when he was denied entrance.

The violence depicted in footage of the arrest, is clearly excessive. Johnson was bloodied and beaten while being pinned by three officers. The possible profiling and excessive violence has sparked claims of racism within the ABC. While being arrested. Johnson even claims, “This is racist”. Protests broke out on the University of Virginia’s campus, and thousands on social media have again expressed their feelings against this injustice, making “#BlackLivesMatter” viral once again.

Martese Johnson entered the courtroom March 26 to enter a not guilty plea, but the prosecution asked to continue the investigation; his next appearance in court is May 28. The future of this case could again reflect on racism in the American police force.