What HHS Students Are Thankful For

Nick DeSilva

Left to right Patrick Allen and Nick Salem Freshman thankful for cars, food, and houses

Nick Desilva, Contributing Writer

This past week I went to random lunch tables and asked a few members of each group what they were thankful for. I also asked people that I met in the hallways during my daily walk around the school in my G block study hall. Doing this over the course of two days made me learn two things: the first one being that most people respond with family, friends or both. I don’t know if it is the pressure of a stranger asking them what they are thankful for, or the pressure to think fast, but I also learned that the newspaper is not very well known. A lot of the people I asked followed my question, “Can I ask you a question for the school newspaper?” with “Our school has a newspaper?”

There were some unique answers that I found notable. Abby Bienfang ​is thankful for the Bruins, Mark McNiskin​ for music, Corbin Hemming and Sebastian Lucien​ for basketball, StuCo president, Pete Ross​ for school (the safe answer) and a whole group of girls at lunch were thankful for “Netflix, puppies, and chocolate.” Camryn Froio was thankful for the Dance Team. Some other responses were equally interesting, but very silly. For example, Ivan Frantz said he was most thankful for me (Nick DeSilva) and John Goggin​ answered with “Tom Brady!”

I love meeting people and this poll helped me know a lot of people better. And what am I thankful for? I am thankful for living in a wonderful town like Hingham with such great people. Before I moved to Hingham I lived in Mattapan and Dorchester, and I cannot possibly think how my life would have turned out if my family stayed there. Thanks to everyone who participated in the poll and have a great Thanksgiving!