Hingham High’s 2016 New Years’ Resolutions

Claire Stone

Juniors Hannah Walsh and Kate Farrell. Hannah resolves to procrastinate less and Kate wants to explore her spirituality further.

Claire Stone, Contributing Writer

Resolutions can be hard to make, and even harder to stick to, so many choose to not make any at all.

When prompted by my question on what their resolutions are, most replied with “I don’t know,” or “I don’t make them,” along with a furrowed brow and shaken head.

A common theme I noticed, among those who did share answers, was most hoped to do well in school in the coming year, or study more than they already do. Junior, Hannah Walsh, said she hopes “to not procrastinate as much” in 2016. Shannon Donovan says she wants to study more because she knows she can and needs to. Does this common theme reveal an underlying problem? Are we all too focused on school?

Although many may agree that we are, I found other students hoping to write more, experience more, and even to cherish and enjoy the life they have. Junior, Rose Flynn, said she was thankful for the privileges she is given living in Hingham and hopes to further take advantage of them this coming year. Her resolution touched close to heart, as it made me reconsider my own resolutions for the new year. I resolve to live my life to the fullest, despite potential judgement from others, as that is something I struggle with. I think we all have to take a step back and look at our insides and compare that to what we hope to be, and resolve to get there, or to take a step towards getting there.

This coming year I hope everyone makes some sort of resolution to better themselves or their community. Anything from writing every day, eating healthier, or doing charity work is worth making the effort, as we all have something we can do to make this world a better place, and that can start with a single resolution.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy new year!