The Battle for VP

Eamon Connolly, Contributing Writer

2016 has been a strange and precedent setting year for politics. With the presidential race in full swing, the country is polarized by the gravity of their impending decision. Here at Hingham high, the class of 2017 has been split as if it were making the decision of a lifetime. The intense race for the 2016/2017 vice president race tore the class in two.

On one side was the experienced leader and responsible VP, Brad Patterson. On the other lies Quinn Smith, a fresh and energetic newcomer who was giving the campaign his all. Both candidates hung posters around the school, both gave their respective speeches, but the two could not be more different.

When asked about his goals for the office next year, Brad said “For the next year I want to include as many people as possible, as we work towards fundraising for Senior Prom and other class wide events.”

Quinn’s response to the same question showed his different intention. He said, “I want to improve the community by encouraging students to join and create clubs, and use their spare time to give back to the school, as well as teach People to respect their peers more.”

The race for vice president came to fruition with the election taking place Friday, May 13th, during lunch. The candidates both turned out during third lunch in support of each other and to encourage their classmates to cast their votes. It was a very close race but in the end Brad Patterson’s experience brought him the victory. His opponent wasn’t available to comment on his defeat.

Brad’s win will define the class of 2017 for the next year to come. His spirit and determination will earn the class a fantastic final year at Hingham High and he will be remembered fondly as the four year vice president of the class of 2017.