Hingham High Spreads Gingerbread Joy

Leanne Moczynski

Hingham High Student Council members mingle with elementary school students, walking around and sitting down to help them.

Leanne Moczynski, Contributing Writer

This Wednesday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm, East School hosted a fun-filled afternoon of gingerbread house making and karaoke for elementary school students, assisted by high school Student Council volunteers.

The sound of Christmas music and laughter filled the busy cafeteria with holiday cheer as young architects crafted miniature palaces out of ginger biscuit, gumdrops, skittles, candy canes, and plenty of icing.

Then, from 6:30pm to 8:00pm, the school continued to spread joy by holding the gingerbread house making contest for Hingham High freshmen and their upperclassmen mentors as part of the Freshman Mentor Program.

“I had a lot of fun helping the kids make gingerbread houses,” shared sophomore Student Council member Shanah Goddard, who helped out at the first activity. “It was a great opportunity to give back to the community.”

Additionally, Riley Potter, a sophomore in both the Student Council and the Mentor Program, attended both gingerbread house activities. Commenting on the freshmen she mentors, she said, “It’s a great group of kids and I love spending time with them.”

Then, reflecting on the Mentor Program’s main goal of integrating the freshmen class into the high school community, she added, “I think that activities like these will encourage more freshmen students to make friends with people who they wouldn’t typically meet on a school day.”

East School’s PTO was extremely thankful for all the student volunteers’ help in making sure every attendee had a great time. The spirit of giving evoked by Wednesday’s activities was a wonderful way to start off the holiday season!