Senior One Acts

Hannah Jensen, Contributing Writer

On June 3rd and 4th, the Hingham High School Drama Club presented two evenings of senior one-acts. Each night consisted of multiple one-act plays directed by Hingham High School seniors. The production on Tuesday June 3rd consisted of two hilarious one-acts. The first was “The Hair of the Aardwolf” directed by Greg Pett and Eric Hambley, and the second one-act was “Pass It On, or The First Period Note That Almost Destroyed the World” directed by Jack Blanchard and Savanna Crosby.
In “The Hair of the Aardwolf”, Jerry Goldsmith is going on a date with Jo Rogers, and he is warned by his father not to let Jo kiss him under any circumstances. When Jo arrives at the Goldsmith’s house to pick Jerry up for their date, she successfully charms his father, convincing Mr. Goldsmith that she would never try to kiss Jerry, even though that is her ultimate goal. What follows is Jo’s hilarious attempt to convince Jerry to kiss her, which almost succeeds until Mr. Goldsmith arrives just in time to break up the two, ending the play.
The play’s humor stems from the role reversals of the male and female characters. The male characters are portrayed as quite feminine while the female characters are portrayed as quite masculine. Listening to a father tell his son not to let a girl kiss him until marriage had the audience in stitches. With great performances from Josh Crosby, Evan Ayer, and Ava Lavallee, The Hair of the Aardwolf was a huge hit.
In “Pass It On, The First Period Note That Almost Destroyed the World”, Jenna gave Mark the simple task of delivering a note to John Stetson. It should have been easy, but then Mark confuses John with his brother Shawn, and then another student confuses the name Shawn, spelled with a “W” with the name Shaun, spelled with a “U”, and this continues in a chain of miscommunication that nearly results in World War III. While the rest of the world is consumed with the possible outbreak of war, Jenna and John are able to finally establish that they would love to go to homecoming together.
The play is funny from start to finish. Watching the chain of miscommunication is hilarious. The audience knows exactly whom the note should be going to, but seeing different people mess up the names with the confusion escalating until the world is on the brink of World War III is quite funny. With a fantastic cast including Lily Fernald, Cooper Nisbet, and Courtney Hornstra, Pass It On was a definite crowd pleaser.
Congratulations and thanks to seniors for entertaining us with their talents.