Contest Opportunities for English Lovers

Davis Goode, Editor-In-Chief

This week, there are two exciting opportunities for lovers of writing to report. The first option is the “YES! National Student Writing Competition.” For this option, students must respond to an article about The Fault in Our Stars, which details the real-life inspirations of John Green’s book. These people helped to develop a website called Nerdfighter, which seeks to increase respect, empathy, and kindness. The writing prompt for this competition asks to find other ways in which the internet can be used in a positive way, like the Nerdfighters have been doing.

The next option for English-lovers is an eight week course, offered at Boston University, which seeks to increase students’ knowledge of poetry, comprehension of poetry, and ability to write poetry. The course will be taught by highly skilled college professors. If you do not have time for an entire course, you can simply audit the course and complete work at your leisure. The course is offered through Harvard’s extension program and the course is called, “The Art of Poetry.

Finally, there is also the Bennington Writing Contest and the Voice of Democracy contest, both of which have monetary prizes.  If you are interested in any of these writing opportunities, talk to your English teacher who will help you submit your work. There is also a bulletin board on the ramp outside the LMC that showcases all writing contests.