Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Seniors throwing their caps in the air after their graduation! Credits: Joshua Ross
Class of 2024 Graduation!
Katie Whitlock, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

Class of 2024 Graduation!

On Saturday, June 1st, the senior class graduated on a shining day, ending their high school career. With many future plans, the senior class left high school with amazing accomplishments and memorable years. Throughout the day, seven speeches were performed by students and faculty. On Saturday, many well-written speeches, unforgettable moments, and happy, smiling faces ended the senior’s year with an amazing day.  

First, the principal, Mr. Swanson, welcomed families, friends, and the senior class to the Hingham High School graduation. Completing his last year as the principal, Rick Swanson included the significant roles the seniors had in the school and their accomplishments throughout the last four years. Sad about their departure, he reflected on their years and the school’s performance over the past few months. Following Swanson, the superintendent of schools, Margaret Adams, honored the senior’s accomplishments and growing independence.  Furthermore, the chair of the Hingham School committee, Nes Correnti, explained the importance of eight minutes. She demonstrated the significance of taking the time to talk to a loved one, and to check up on them.  

Next, the salutatorian, Simran Vaishnava, performed an outstanding speech, congratulating the 2024 class and thanking the people in her life who helped the graduating seniors succeed. Asked about Vaishnava’s speech, senior Olivia Daly mentioned, “Simran’s speech was outstanding, and I am so grateful to end an amazing year with all of these great people.” After Simran, the class valedictorian, Jack Burns, talked about his favorite memories and bonds with his classmates. Chosen by teachers and students, Isabel McCabe wrote a thoughtful speech, reflecting on the last four years of her life. Trying to figure out a word that defined the class of 2024, McCabe came up with intent and described the amazing qualities of the senior class. Finally, closing out the speeches, class president Tadd Cavanaugh explained the importance of each person’s personality and the different values that each human brings to the world.  

Finally arriving at the best part of the day, the seniors lined up to obtain their diplomas, ending their careers at HHS. Following their walk along the turf field, Tadd Cavanaugh led the turning of the tassel. Senior Tess Green mentioned, “I cannot believe we graduated. It seems like just yesterday we were learning online during the pandemic. I am so beyond grateful for the last four years and will never forget the memories I made here.”  

The class of 2024’s graduation could not have been better, celebrating the accomplishments of each senior on a beautiful sunny day. The whole class will be exceedingly missed, but they left an amazing legacy that will not be forgotten.