Celebrating Veterans Day

Meaghan Burke

American flags wave in a Hingham cemetery as a sign of respect for those who have fought for our country.

Meaghan Burke, Contributing Writer

Each year, November 11 is a day for everyone to give thanks to those who are or were in the military. These people have dedicated their lives protecting those of the American people. Veterans Day is for everyone to take time out of their busy day to thank their neighbors, family members, or anyone else they know who has made it possible for them to live their lives freely.

Some of the branches of the military are the Army, the Marines, the Navy, and the Air Force. Each branch along with the soldiers within it is in charge of a certain jurisdiction. But one thing each of these brave soldiers have in common is that they have all risked their lives to make it possible for Americans to have the lives they have today. The soldiers in the Army are in charge of protecting the land. Marines are in charge of protecting the land and sea. The Navy is in charge of protecting the air and land. The Air Force protects the sky zones.

What some people don’t know is that Veterans Day is actually in honor of the anniversary of the end of World War I. This day was commemorated for all the soldiers who were buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day. In 1938, this holiday changed to what is known today as Veterans Day, a day dedicated to celebrating the courage of all U.S soldiers.

Each year, there is a tradition where people go to the ceremony of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers to lay down flowers and other gifts to the service men and women who have died for us. Another tradition is for people to wear poppies. This tradition was associated with the U.S memorials through the poem “In Flanders Field.”

When asked about Veterans Day, Connor Keliher, a freshman that goes to Hingham High, said, “My Grandfather is a veteran of the Air force. We are so lucky for him to be alive and home. It means a lot that he is a veteran because we are all so proud and thankful for him. Veterans Day means a lot to me and my family because it is a day when we can recognize my Grandfather.”