HHS’ Music Department’s Trip to Chicago

Shira Berkin

Yet another renowned supermodel, John Joyce, found roaming the streets with Hingham High’s Shira Berkin.

Shira Berkin, Contributing Writer

In late March the band, orchestra, and chorus groups held their annual school trip. This year, the groups went to Chicago from March 31st to April 3rd. Flying out Thursday during school, the group arrived in Chicago with enough time, despite flight delays, to watch the world­-renowned Chicago Symphony Orchestra play Rimsky Korsakov’s Sheherezade.

On Friday, the group, led by Hingham High School’s Ms. Sassano, Mr. Cincotta, and Mr. Young, departed for the Museum of Science and Industry, where students learned about the human body through live experiences of human hamster wheels, shock reaction, and voice tone control. In addition, the museum featured an entire section on space, the creation of a vortex, and egg hatching. Lunch in China Town was widely enjoyed, and much needed to preserve energy for the Skydeck at the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, and the Lincoln Park Zoo.

Later that night, the group learned the darker history of Chicago and its hauntings through the Weird Chicago Tour: ­Devil in the White City. After a night of unsettling stories, the group headed back to the hotel with an early wake up call. Because of unexpected snow, the architectural boat tour of Chicago was postponed until Sunday. Instead, the students headed to the Art Institute of and had the opportunity to view many pieces in Van Gogh’s collection, along with hundreds of other famous paintings and a beautiful paperweight collection.

Saturday’s dinner was Italian food, followed by an incredible performance by Second City: Fool Me Twice, Deja Vu. John Joyce, a junior on the trip, loved the comedy performance in particular. He said, “During a time when school stress piles up, the orchestra trip to Chicago was such an amazing way to alleviate stress, while bonding with other musicians. My favorite part was definitely the Second City comedy show. The quick skits and talented performers left me literally gasping for air from laughing so hard.” Every student felt very similarly to John and responded well to the liberal messages promoted and the satire performed.

On the last day, the musicians attended Saturday’s postponed boat tour and spent two hours at the Navy Pier. At Gino’s East, everyone ate the famous Chicago deep-­dish pizza before flying back to Boston after an amazing weekend.