Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Spring Sports Start

Students are excited for the spring sports season (Wicked Local)

As the Spring sports season ignites a sensation at Hingham High, student-athletes from all grades (and some amazing members from the middle school) wait in anticipation for the hustle and bustle of their sports to go underway. Traditionally, Coach Quatromoni opened this Spring season with an amazing annual Spring Sports meeting, where guidelines and expectations were set for the student-athletes participating. Hingham High offers various athletic opportunities for all and welcomes their talented spring teams back for more triumphs. These baseball, softball, crew, lacrosse, rugby, tennis, track and field, unified track, volleyball, and sailing teams await competition with diligent preparation. 

This past week, many of the high school athletes began the process of tryouts, remarking about their thrill, such as sophomore Kayle Araujio, “I am so excited to spend the season with my friends and get faster and better.” This hope is found among many fellow participants awaiting their seasons. It can not be forgotten that with all the exciting action occurring on the fields, Hingham High athletes are reminded that they are students before athletes and are encouraged to finish out the third term strong before the home stretch of the last quarter. Speaking of quarters, do not forget to support the teams, such as Girls Lacrosse on Wednesday, April 3rd at Quincy. Another amazing team to see is the new Boys Volleyball team, coached by Mr. Nugent, which plays on Friday, April 5th.

From all these teams, whether an athlete may be participating in matches, games, or regattas, nostalgia from past seasons is evoked from memories and unforgettable moments. Mr. Loucheim, a history teacher at Hingham and former lacrosse player comments on how he also is feeling about the upcoming season; “It brings me back to my high school playing days; it is a time of excitement, promise, and hope.” Some future “promise” may not only physical challenges but also opportunities for personal growth and character development. 

Thanks to amazing coaches athletes learn valuable lessons in many areas like resilience, sportsmanship, and leadership as they navigate the ups and downs of competition. Not to forget the ability to participate in a sport can connect people with the same passions. Thomas Simpson, remarks on the quality and also gives insight into his opinion of being a student-athlete, “Sports help you get connected with a team and community, along with the helpful coaches that help you achieve your goals. Track and field really gives me an opportunity to to try many new things and explore my horizons.” With each practice and game, these student-athletes embody spirit and determination changing dreams into tangible achievements. With the season ahead, there will be challenges and triumphs but the most important aspect of sports for students to remember is to have fun and try your hardest.