2016 Football Home Opener

Curran Dillis

The Hingham Harbormen faced off against Sandwich on Friday, Sept. 19.

Curran Dillis, Contributing Writer

This Friday, September 19th, at 7 P.M., the Hingham Harbormen football team welcomed Sandwich to the turf for Hingham’s home opening game.

A popular yearly event, the stands on Hingham’s side were practically filled with fans, both young and old. Occupying around an eighth of the Harbormens’ stands were Hingham High students, who stood for the majority of the game in order to show their support for the home team.

As with all Hingham sports events, there was a group fundraising by selling food at the concession stand. Tonight, the class of 2018 sold calzone, candy and drinks to raise funds for class events and other costs.

The game itself ended in a landslide victory. The Harbormen beat the challenging Blue Knights 25-3, with running back #3 Kyle Desmarais scoring the last touchdown with eight minutes and forty seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Overall, the Hingham crowd’s enjoyment of the game was overwhelming. Sophomore Maddy Fano remarked how, “It was a great start and gives me high hopes for the rest of the season.”

The game was even enjoyable for those who don’t attend the high school. Dylan Melanson is a sophomore at BC High, and a lifetime Hingham resident. “It was nice to watch the game and see how many people supported [the Harbormen],”he said and added “I’m looking forward to going to more games and supporting the football team.”

Overall, the Harbormen got off to an exciting start to their season, and it can only be said, Hingham residents can’t wait to see how it progresses.