Sports Recap: Another Strong Week After a Successful Homecoming

Josh Ross

Hingham Student Section at the Football Game Against Whitman-Hanson

Trevor Buckeridge, Contributing Writer

After an undefeated Homecoming for all five teams that played last Saturday, Hingham’s fall sports teams continue to dominate across the board. It will be interesting to see which team goes the farthest this year as they all continue to show very few weaknesses.

On Friday night, the Football team had their fourth straight home game of the season. They extended their undefeated record to 4-0 after battling it out with Whitman-Hanson for a 13-7 win. With Junior Will St. Pierre out due to an injury, fellow Junior Jeremy Aylward stepped up, scoring the first of Hingham’s two touchdowns, the other being scored by Jack Nicholas. The Red Army (instagram: @hhs_redarmy) set a white-out theme for the student section and the students did not disappoint. Senior Clara Bodnar says that she thinks “this year’s games have probably been the most fun so far for me. The student section has been really fun, especially with the themes every week.”

Volleyball had 3 games this past week. On Monday, they had an away game against Hanover who they beat 3-0. On Wednesday they faced a tough 0-3 loss against Duxbury who seems to be the team to beat in the Patriot League yet again. The team finished out the week with a strong 3-1 win against Plymouth South, giving the team an overall record of 6-4 this season. Senior Kate DiBartolomeo was named player of the match for the game against Duxbury and Colette Hanney received this recognition for the match against Hanover. Senior Lizzie Beyer commented that “the team looks really good this year and I’m really excited for my last season on the team.”

The Boys Soccer team had a two-game shutout this week. On Tuesday, the team beat Whitman-Hanson with a score of 5-0 and on Thursday they beat Hanover 4-0. Led by captains Jack Murtagh, Cole Sampson, and Griffin Coppola, the team has yet to lose a game. Their current record is 5-0-2.

Girls Soccer had a very similar week, winning 5-0 against Whitman Hanson and 2-0 against Hanover. Against Whitman-Hanson, the score was 0-0 at the half, but the girls absolutely smothered their opponents in the second half. The team now carries a 6-2-2 record.

Field Hockey also had an incredible week, winning their two games against Pembroke and West Bridgewater. They beat Pembroke with a score of 5-0 and conquered West Bridgewater with an impressive 7-0 score. Their only loss this season was against Scituate who they have now played twice, with Hingham winning the second game 5-0. Scituate proves to be Hingham’s biggest rival this season. 

The Boys Golf team beat North Quincy at South Shore country club with a strong performance from senior Victor San Antonio. They finished their week by ‘slaying the dragon’ as they beat their rival, Duxbury, on Friday. 

Both the Boys and Girls Cross Country teams faced Duxbury at home on Tuesday. The boys lost in a close 33-24 while the girls won 17-42. The front-runners for the boys were Brendan Burm, Ryan Gates, and Niko Gibson and the fastest Hingham girls were Clare Lowther, Sarah Burke, and Sydney Driscoll.

Dance Team and Unified Basketball were the only two fall sports teams that did not get a chance to compete last week. The dance team has most of their competitions in November, so for now they are focused on getting their routines together and performing at football games. The unified basketball team will most likely have their first game against Duxbury next week.

Overall, there seems to be no weak links in Hingham Fall Sports lineup as each team looks forward to what next week will bring.