Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

NFL Draft Preview

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell prepares to reveal a draft pick during the 2022 NFL draft. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)

This Thursday April 25, the 2024 NFL draft begins and for many young professional athletes, their careers will begin as well. Some of the best teams will look to bolster their squad, while some of the less successful teams will attempt to add young stars to help prepare for the future. The draft consists of seven rounds where at least 224 players are chosen over the course of the three nights.

First 10 Teams Drafting

1. Bears
  2. Commanders
  3. Patriots
  4. Cardinals
  5. Chargers
  6. Giants
  7. Titans
  8. Falcons
  9. Bears
  10. Jets

Best Players 

• Caleb Williiams (WR)

Williams is one of the highest regarded prospects in recent NFL history. His outstanding sophomore season which earned him the Heisman trophy propelled him to the top of most draft boards. Williams totaled 8,170 passing yards in his two seasons as a USC Trojan. Williams’s ability to extend plays and his instincts outside of the pocket give early drafting teams high hopes for their future at quarterback. His big frame at 215 pounds will prove to be useful as he prepares himself to play against the best football players in the world.

Caleb Williams waves to fans after USC loss vs UCLA. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)
  • Marvin Harrison Jr (WR)

The son of NFL hall of famer Marvin Harrison looks to prove to the league that he is the best receiver coming out of this year’s NFL draft. Harrison is deadly against man coverages due to his big frame and physical play style. 50/50 balls thrown up to Harrison feel more like 80/20 in his favor for any of his quarterbacks. His career at Ohio State was nothing short of amazing. Long time Ohio State fan and Hingham High School student Ben Brazis says “Harrison is the single greatest receiver to be a Buckeye. There’s no doubt in my mind that he will take over at the next level”.

• Malik Nabers (WR)

Another great wide receiver in this year’s draft is Malik Nabers. Nabers was a finalist for the Fred Biletnikoff awards which is given to the best wide receiver each year in college football. Nabers finished second in receiving yards in college football this year with 1569 yards which pushed him to number 1 in all time receiving yards at LSU. His ability to break tackles combined with his quick acceleration makes him a nightmare after he catches the football for any defensive back.

• Jayden Daniels (QB)

The 2023 Heisman winner Jayden Daniels is expected to be a top three draft pick and is ready to take on some of the league’s best defenders. Hingham High School student Andrew Sullivan says “Daniels is one of the most electric players in this year’s class. I can’t wait to see what he does at the next level”. Daniels has proven to be one of the most versatiles players in college football history as he became the first player to pass for 12,000 yards and rush for 3,000 yards in the same season. His ability to extend plays and work outside of the pocket brings him NFL comparisons to players such as MVP Lamar Jackson.

• Joe Alt (OL)

According to many draft boards Alt is seen as the best offensive lineman in the draft. The 6’9 Notre Dame alumni weighs in at 321 lbs, but still manages to have quick feet to keep up with the faster pass rushers in the NFL. His work in the run game is levels above most other lineman in this draft aside from JC Latham and Olu Fashanu. His ability to get to the second level and stick with quick linebackers makes him an easy top 10 pick. Alt earned a plethora of awards following the 2023 college football season including becoming a unanimous all-american.