Boston Bruins Start Strong

Bob DeCiara (USA TODAY Sports)

Bruins goaltender Jeremy Swayman saves a goal from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday, December 17th.

Lauren Weber, Contributing Writer

This year, the Boston Bruins achieved an unbelievably strong start to their season. The team is steady as the number one ranked team in the Atlantic Conference and shows no signs of slowing down. At home, Boston is 17-0-2, shutting down any team that challenges them. Notably, they also had one of their longest winning streaks at home with nine consecutive wins and they have never lost more than one game in a row. 

Some star players include David Pastrňák and Patrice Bergeron. Pastrňák, a right winger, leads the team with a total 43 points, acting as a key player to the Bruins high scoring games. Additionally, Patrice Bergeron recently reached the milestone of having 1,000 NHL points. He is the fourth Bruin to achieve this honor, following in the footsteps of  Ray Bourque, Johnny Bucyk, and Phil Esposito. His 1,000th point was achieved against the Tampa Bay Lightning with an assist to Brad Marchand, contributing to their 5-3 win. Bergeron has played for the Boston Bruins since he was drafted by the team as the 45th pick in the 2003 NHL draft. 

Looking ahead, most Bruins fans have faith in their hockey team. Junior Travis Rugg shares, “The Bruins are almost undefeatable this year. They are going to do great through and hopefully after the regular season.”

Students who aren’t originally diehard hockey fans are also finding an interest in the Bruins because of their recent incredible performances. Junior Bridget Patten says, “I can’t wait to go to a game, because I’ve heard so much about them I want to see them play in person.” 

The 2022-23 Boston Bruins season is shaping up to be a highly acclaimed one and gives the team a running chance to attempt to fight for the Stanley Cup. 

Juniors Travis Rugg and Jack Eielson show off their Bruins spirit in school. (Lauren Weber)