Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Halloween Costumes

Kids in popular costumes reaching for candy while trick-or-treating . Shutterstock/Rawpixel.com

As Halloween approaches this fall, the hot topic of costumes is frequently discussed. Over the years, costumes have advanced in many ways, but many classic costumes are still seen every year. To help this Halloween, Hingham High School students spoke their thoughts and opinions on certain Halloween costumes. 

“What is your costume this Halloween?”

Senior Sara Menesale chose the movie character route: “This Halloween I am being Lightning McQueen because it was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and now. I am going to wear a red shirt with a yellow felt lightning bolt on the front, and his famous number, 95, on the back.”

The uniqueness of a costume can make or break the entire outfit, as can considering what costumes friends are wearing and possibly establishing a common theme between all of the costumes. Of course, being respectful with any costume chosen is crucial.

“Which costumes do you think are overused, and constantly repeated each year?”

Sophomore Brenna Doherty shares, “Every year I see the same devil and angel duo, and cops and robbers costume. This year I hope to see a variety of different costumes,ranging from popular movie or TV show characters to a unique spin on common costumes like the pirate version peanut butter and jelly.”

Halloween as a whole is also associated with the concept of frightening and scary ideas. In many costumes, the use of fake blood, fangs, fake scares, and more are used to portray the sense of fear in a costume.

“Do you think costumes for halloween must be scary?”

Sophomore Brian Murray thinks “Halloween is about dressing up, not specifically being scary, and expressing your true emotions through an outfit.”

Year after year, new generations entire the Halloween season with diverse costumes from one another. Costumes advance every year. Starting from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, where people dressed as witches to ward off ghosts all the way up until now where we can predict seeing different Barbie costume designs inspired from the new Barbie movie.

“What is the most memorable costume you have seen trick-or-treating?”

Senõr Bagan recalls, “One funny costume I saw was a person covered in a bunch of different gray color swatches who went as 50 Shades of Grey. Maybe not my funniest but it was memorable.”