Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

5 Local Volunteer Opportunities

Bridges by EPOCH assisted living facility taken by the Bridges official website

As summer approaches, students at HHS are looking for opportunities to earn more community service hours. There are plenty of chances to get this done locally and here are just five of the many examples.

First, we have the assisted living facility Bridges by EPOCH in Hingham. Here, you can help by spending time with the residents to brighten their days. Sometimes, you can also help them with everyday tasks that are becoming harder for them. Sophomore Mischa Hase volunteers here and says, “I love helping out here not only because it is a good way to earn volunteer hours but also because I love working with the residents and talking to them about whatever they want to talk about.”

Second, we have the Hingham Interfaith Food Pantry. At this volunteer opportunity, you can bring in non-perishable items. You can also volunteer to help bring them to those in need and promote any fundraisers or drives they might be holding by making flyers and spreading the word. 

Third, we have a SNAP program. SNAP is an organization that helps teach sports to children with different types of disabilities. There are so many sports offered now, and you can pick any one and sign up to volunteer there. Sessions are typically an hour long and consist of simple drills or whatever the players want to work on. Sophomore Lauren Armstrong has helped create the SNAP field hockey program. She says, “Helping teach kids that might not have the same opportunities about a sport I love is really amazing. I love seeing them develop new skills and getting to love the game the same way I do.”

Fourth, and similar to Bridges by EPOCH, Linden Ponds is another great way to get community service hours. You can help by running the games they have for the residents or just by sitting with them and listening to their stories. This is a great opportunity especially if helping the elderly is something that you are passionate about.

Last, getting involved with Student Council here at the high school provides numerous ways to get these hours. From helping with Homecoming to the Holiday Fair, there is always a large variety of activities that they are updating every club member on.