Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Girls Soccer Loses 2-1 to Algonquin

Hingham%E2%80%99s+Kiki+McGourty+wards+off+an+Algonquin+forward+as+she+outruns+her+to+the+ball.+%0ABy%3A+Joshua+Ross+Photography+
Hingham’s Kiki McGourty wards off an Algonquin forward as she outruns her to the ball. By: Joshua Ross Photography

The Homecoming weekend at Hingham High School never fails to provide exciting games to watch. On Saturday, October 21st, the Girls Varsity Soccer team took the Hingham turf to face Algonquin. Hingham recently moved to Division 2, while Algonquin’s team remains in Division 1. 

Last year, girls soccer defeated Algonquin in the D1 State Championship. As reigning state champs, Hingham has a lot of pressure on their shoulders to finish with a good season. As hard as it is to compete with last year’s electric performance, Hingham certainly has the potential and skill to perform well in playoffs. 

Looking back, Hingham lost two outstanding seniors to elite D1 College Programs: Emily Gibbons at Cornell and Sophia Reale at UCLA. Despite this, the future is bright for Hingham Girls Soccer, as the incoming freshman class did not disappoint. With the additions of Hannah Lasch and Taylor Bello, two starters for the team, Hingham put up a good fight against Algonquin. Keep in mind that Hingham’s forward captain, Claire Murray was out for Saturday’s game. 

At 1 o’clock, the long-awaited game began. The fast-paced Algonquin offense proved very difficult to contain, but Hingham’s defense stood strong. Senior Captain Reese Pompeo plays a huge role as well as Junior goalkeeper Abby Griffin. Another defender, Sydney Bowyer, said she was “very excited for this game. We have put in a lot of hard work and I’m looking forward to this game.” 

The first half, Hingham let up two goals and went into the half down 2-0. Although the offense started a bit slow, energy shifted going into the second half. Coach MF Monroe plays a huge role in team dynamic, despite starting her first head coaching job at Hingham last year. In the second half, Hingham got on the board with a goal scored by Junior Hadley Bello. 

Unfortunately, Hingham came up just short in a 2-1 loss to Alqonquin. After the game, Sophomore Tessa Grossman said that “this team puts in so much effort every single day. We tried our best and now we just need to look forward”. With the regular season wrapping up and playoffs just around the corner, Hingham Girls Soccer has a lot to look forward to. 

Sophomore Hingham girls soccer players Hannah Mello (left) and Carolyn Downey (right) before their game on Saturday, October 21st.
By Caitlin Patten