Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

End of Fall Sports Season: Rankings and results from the 2023-2024 season!

This photo was taken from the student section at one of the HHS football games; the theme was U.S.A. By: Catherine Flynn

With the fall season wrapping up and winter rolling in with force, the fall sports season here at HHS was a successful and fun one. Hingham High’s various fall sports allow its students to choose from a great selection of competitive and lively pastimes. From soccer to volleyball and field hockey to golf, the fall sports season has a lot to offer. 

Sophomore Maddy Philips states her opinion of girls’ varsity soccer, “I think that being on the soccer team gives me a great opportunity to connect with a variety of girls from my school, and I am grateful to play on a team with such great people, and in such a supporting environment.” Girls’ soccer has been pretty successful this year with a record of 9-3-6, and hope to be even more successful in the state tournament with their first game on Sunday against Silver Lake. Boys soccer at HHS has had an impeccable year, ending in third place with 17 wins and only one loss!

Next, the boys’ golf captain, James Flynn (senior), says that his team “had a pretty successful season; this was one of our strongest teams from the past two years. Short season, but we had a lot of fun. Winning the patriot league and coming in 5th in states was a solid finish. Overall, I think our team was great.” The boys’ golf team finished the state tournament 5th out of 16 teams, with Carson Errick being the low man with 75 (solo third), Drew Golden 79, James Flynn and Brad Lee with 72, and Nick Leone with an 85, and Will Gay with an 86. The golf team is a rising success at HHS, having better scores than they’ve had in years. 

But other than golf and soccer, the various other sports teams here at HHS also had some pretty exciting finishes to their seasons. Girls volleyball went 9-9 in their season, ending in 24th for their division. Football ended their season with a 7-6 record this year, with their home games being full of excitement with the huge student sections! Girls field hockey ended their season with a 15-2-0 record, landing them a 4th place finish for MIAA Division II rankings! Most sports here at HHS are full of talent and always compete.

With the transition to Division II for all teams, it will be exciting to see how all sports will do in the state tournaments and regular season. Good luck to all the athletes!