Hingham High Orchestra Concert

The tuning begins

Nick Desilva, Contributing Writer

This Thursday, our Hingham High Orchestra had a concert. It was, honestly, one of the best I have ever been to. The pieces were all great but the best, in my opinion, was, “Themes from Romeo and Juliet.” I asked Mark McNiskin, a violinist, his opinion on which piece played at the concert was his favorite. He agreed with me also answering with, “Themes from Romeo and Juliet.”

“Suite from Carmen” was also an excellent piece. The song was separated into three sects; Habanera, Fantasia, and Prelude Act I. Before the start of the song Ms. Sassano, the Orchestra teacher, asked the audience to refrain from clapping until the official end of the song, because after each part there had to be a page flip to the next. Every section of this song had its own style, going into every section felt like an entirely new piece.

The audience was amazing, very attentive, and alert. Although, they may have felt their attention being tested due to the camera shutter of my phone going off in the back of the auditorium. (Sorry about that, by the way.)

All in all, the concert was amazing and I can’t wait for the next one! I do not currently play any instrument and I am unfamiliar with the whole process. However, I could definitely appreciate the amount of practice it takes to produce this kind of enlightenment within a mere hour and a half. I could tell that these students spent a lot time on perfecting their pieces. Thank you, Hingham High Orchestra, for the great show and lessons in relaxation.