Welcoming HHS’ Socialist Alternative

Wes+Talarico%2C+Gabby+Parker%2C+Melissa+McCullough%2C+and+Laurence+Wilson+watch+a+film.+

Rose Flynn

Wes Talarico, Gabby Parker, Melissa McCullough, and Laurence Wilson watch a film.

Rose Flynn, Junior Editor

In recent weeks, seniors Grace Murray and Lulu Wiley opened a new club here at Hingham High School, the HHS Socialist Alternative. The club is dedicated to discussing matters of American politics today, ranging from democratic socialism, race relations, and women’s rights.

Socialist Alternative started in Seattle, Washington with the election of a socialist city councilmember. It has since progressed into a nation wide movement, integrating into many groups, committees, and elections. The movement runs on a series of platforms, including working towards a living wage of $15 dollars an hour, and fighting against budget cuts for public jobs.

Many students were excited for the opening of this club. Enthusiastic to discuss politics relevant in our society today, especially with the upcoming presidential election, the first meeting showed a good number of attendees. However; this group has also met some backlash recently.

Some students at HHS had taken to social media to make right-winged comments against the group’s leftist platforms. What started as somewhat unsolicited comments soon escalated into petty attacks against the group and their founders, Lulu and Grace. The fighting escalated to the point where Wiley and Murray shut down the group’s Facebook page, deciding to simply make group announcements over PA and the school’s Friday Show. It was unfortunate that the girls had to strip away the group’s technological platform due to the harsh behavior of some students, but many came to their defense. Although heated online debate continued for a few days, the conflict trickled down into jokes and has thankfully died down.

I attended the group’s meeting this past week, which was focused on race relations in America. Senior Gabby Parker led the discussion, bringing up many important lessons on the dangers of racial profiling and even presented some videos that comically debunked racial stereotypes. Lulu then proceeded to exhibit a recording of Angela Davis, an iconic Black Panther, socialist, and  womanist of the 1960s, discussing her progressive platforms on socialism and racial equality.

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed by the eloquence with which Wiley and Murray have introduced this club. Despite facing early turbulence, they show promise as club leaders and I, alongside others, am looking forward to future meetings