Dealing With Stress at HHS

Angela White, Rose McDonald, and Renee Noordzij begin to tackle the piles of homework assigned to them.

Rachel Jensen

Nick DeSilva, Contributing Writer

Stress: we have all experienced it, whether it manifests as minor distraction or a crushing black hole of sorrow. Now, on top of homework, grades, sports, and friends, a new manufacturer of stress has been thrown onto the student body: next year’s classes!

I don’t know if this is just a freshman thing or not, but I am thoroughly confused by how to work Aspen X2. In the past, our guidance counselor would play a more active role in helping us and even demonstrate how to sign up for classes.

Something like that was supposed to happen in our history classes this year. Well, it hasn’t happened, and I don’t know if it will ever happen. Also, I’ve been told many different dates for finalizing course selections and I’m now wholeheartedly getting nervous. Thoughts run through my head such as “What if I don’t select my courses on time?” “Will I just be put in whatever class has space regardless of my interests?”

This is also the point in the year where people start to worry about how stressed they will be next year if they choose to override their teachers’ course recommendations.  Some face stress from the decision on whether they should double up on courses so they can take advanced classes. For example, a friend of mine says that he wants to take two math courses and that he also wants to get into chemistry for next year. I, who considers myself horrendous at math, fear the thought of taking two math classes.

Ultimately, students need to stop stressing over things so trivial and if you are having trouble go talk to your guidance counselor!