GSA Day of Silence

Curran Dillis, Contributing Writer

This Friday, April 29th, the Hingham High School’s Gay Straight Alliance will be holding a Day of Silence. The Day of Silence is an event where students are encouraged to remain silent throughout the entire school day. This silence is meant to show students, who may otherwise be unaware, the everyday struggle that LGBT+ students in Hingham High School face to feel accepted, or even acknowledged, by their peers. These students feel that they have to stay silent in order to be safe, instead of being capable of expressing their true identities.

The Day of Silence was first held by students at University of Virginia in 1996. In the twenty years since it began, over 100 colleges have held a Day of Silence, as well as high schools in all fifty states and countries such as New Zealand, Singapore and Russia.

The event is now sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN). GLSEN provides resources for students and educators in an effort to raise awareness of LGBT issues. The Day of Silence itself is a protest of violence towards LGBT students in school environments. Students remain silent for the entire day as an act of solidarity with those in their community who have been victims of discrimination based on gender identity or sexuality.

The Gay Straight Alliance has put a great deal of effort into orchestrating this year’s Day of Silence. Kevin Lalli is an adjustment counselor at Hingham High School, and the advisor for the Gay Straight Alliance. In an email to the GSA regarding the Day of Silence, Mr. Lalli made the point that, “for us here at HHS, there are many steps that need to be taken to pull it off. At the basic level, we want people to participate in it AND understand what its purpose is.”

The best way educators can get involved is to respect the efforts of students who are participating in the Day of Silence, and if possible create a lesson concerning LGBT+ subject matter. It would also be a great service to the GSA if teachers encouraged their students to be respectful of their silent peers. Student participants in the day of Silence will be provided cards explaining their actions on Friday, so they may remain silent while still spreading understanding of the event. With this year’s streak of disrespectful actions towards the dance team, and more recently the drama club, it will be crucial that the Gay Straight Alliance’s observance of the Day of Silence goes smoothly.

We are hoping to create an environment that allows free expression and creates tolerance between every member of the student body, regardless of personal beliefs or the circles a student may run in. With the help of the student body and faculty, the Day of Silence can be a powerful show of support for a group of students who otherwise could face discrimination.