Senior Directed One Acts

Curran Dillis

The casts of “How to Succeed in High School without Really Trying,” “Small Actors”, and “13 Ways to Screw Up Your College Interview”, bow after their performances.

Curran Dillis, Contributing Writer

Last Tuesday, June 7th, the Hingham High School drama club hosted their annual night of senior directed one act plays. This event, a capstone for many of the outgoing seniors who started in the drama club as freshman, took place in the HHS auditorium at 7 pm on Tuesday, and three shows ran that night and several more on Wednesday.

The three shows that ran Tuesday night were “How to Succeed in High School without Really Trying,” by Jonathan Rand and directed by Evan Ayer, Josh Crosby, and Liam Nahil, “Small Actors: A One Act Comedy/ Drama” by Stephen Gregg and directed by Jess Shawles and Molly Rabinovitz, and “13 Ways to Screw Up Your College Interview” by Ian McWethy and directed by Gabrielle Martin, Ava Lavallee, and Heather McIntosh. All of the short plays revolved around a central theme. Namely, all of these performances were seemingly inspired by the struggles of upperclassmen or by advice that upperclassmen wanted to give to underclassmen.

“How to Succeed in High School…” took the audience on a step by step walk-through on how to prosper in high school, with ideas such as dating a “mathlete,” and changing your name to avoid missing attendance. “Small Actors” told the tale of an unfortunate budding actress who shoots for the stars in auditioning for Juliet in the famous Shakespearean tragedy, but is ultimately cast in the minor role servant. The play teaches viewers the value of honesty as the actress’s mistake comes back to haunt her. Finally, “13 Ways to Screw Up…” portrayed 13 scenes of outlandish students, from a magician to a girl who was accepted at another school during the interview process.

Overall, each play offered original humor, and they told three unique stories. With a diverse casting of both under­ and upperclassmen,the final project of outgoing seniors was a hilarious send off for a group of actors and actresses, and an uplifting end for a year which has given the drama club great victories, but also many struggles.

The Senior One Act night also provided the new drama club presidents, Matt Rice and Stephanie Pett, with an opportunity to announce the club’s spring production. The play, featuring an all female cast which will be showing the audience life through the eyes of a victim of sexual assault, is titled “Slut: The Play.” Also mentioned in the One Act night’s play bill was the fall musical, “Rock of Ages,” which will run November 17­-19.

While this year’s drama club season is ending, next year promises to be just as riveting, and with a large group of incoming freshman, we can hopefully expect many new faces on stage next fall.