Girls Varsity Soccer Defeats Dighton-Rehoboth in First Tournament Game

Hingham+Girls+break+up+after+their+cheer+to+the+second+half+of+the+game.+

Kaylee Hill

Hingham Girls break up after their cheer to the second half of the game.

Kaylee Hill, Contributing Writer

On Monday, November 7th, Hingham Girls Varsity soccer faced Dighton-Rehoboth on Hingham’s home turf at 6:30. A cold thirty-seven degree night under the lights, a crowded stand full of Hingham students and fellow community members watched the beginnings of the tournament.

In roughly the first seven minutes, Senior Eve Hewins sprinted up the sidelines to make a swift cut and bar shot aimed at the opposite corner of the goal. She secured Hingham’s first goal at 32:33 in the first half and tied the score at one to one. Hingham was just getting warmed up. Then again, at 21:44 in the first half, Senior Eve Hewins received a pass up from the middle, dodged the goalie and defenders, and headed straight towards an open net to simply tap the ball in for another goal! The crowd erupted into cheers and applause. Hewins claimed a third goal, a hat trick, marking the score at 3-1 leading the first half’s domination. But, with just minutes left in the half, Sophomore Hannah Lewack, running after a loose ball, took her chance and curved a shot straight into the left corner of the goal. Junior Elli Ruggiero remarked at the conclusion of the first half, “emotions are running high and the girls are working so well together! Their talent really shows”.

Shortly after a quick break, Hingham was back at it with a throw-in by Jamie Clougherty to Hewins, who dribbled the ball up to the end of the line and crossed it, giving Sophomore Kira McGuire a perfect chance at tapping the ball into the goal. Impressed, Junior Marykate Stack exclaimed that “Hingham always beats them to the ball”. Hingham was now up 5-1.

Many close shots were followed, as well as a short pass by Junior Gabby Viola to Junior Caroline Harkins, and together their flawless teamwork put another goal into the net making the score 7-1. Junior Lulu Pennel amazed said, “the girls make it look so simple and easy” with their excellent ball control and strength. With eleven minutes to go, Freshman number 16, Emma Quilty contributed her own goal adding to a score of 9-1. In other words, Hingham closed out the game with a score of 9-1 definitely prompting the start of another fantastic beginning to the Tourney! Great job girls and can’t wait for the next game.