Winter Sports Are Ready to Go!

Night meets like these will have to wait for the wrestling team.

Maryellen Jones

Jack Kelleher, Contributing Writer

There will be a hockey and basketball season this year. The news comes as new EEA guidelines from the state allow even these contact indoor sports to play, although with masks and modifications. When asked how he felt about having a season, Sophomore hockey player Ben Berardi replied, “I am excited it’s going to happen”. However, he was less excited about whom they were playing saying, “It’s just the patriot league.” MIAA has said that there will be now tournaments for either sport.
The modifications for each sport, and other lower-risk sports, is so far unknown. The exception is that, according to the EEA guidelines, masks are mandatory for all sports, excluding swimming and solo low-risk sports when participants are more than 14 feet apart. When asked about changes that might happen, Sophomore basketball player, Aiden Costello, was confident that the MIAA could work things out. Costello stated, “I think it will run smoothly. If the AAU basketball teams were able to have 2 seasons throughout this pandemic with far fewer restrictions and no major problems, the extra precautions [taken] should ensure that the basketball season will happen and be completed.” Hopefully, for him and the rest of the basketball program, they do run smoothly.
While this is good news for the hockey and basketball programs, the wrestling team is not so happy, as the season has been postponed to at least Fall 2, and maybe even longer. Although this did not come as a surprise for anyone, people are questioning what this means for the future. When asked about the delay to the spring, Senior and captain of the wrestling team, Jackson Thorne, said, “It’s gonna be hard for those who play another sport during the spring and possibly having to make the decision to drop a sport they enjoy. But for others, it will be a good way to potentially get a season in.” This means that the Harbormen will not be able to compete for their 9th straight Patriot league title, at least for now. Currently, we do not know if there will be a season, but under the guidelines, there could be small group practices for wrestling during the winter.
As for other sports like swimming, winter track, and gymnastics, can go under these state guidelines. During these trying times, it is good news anytime things are starting to go back to normal, and this is one such example. Although it is not the season people wanted at the end of last year, it is a good start for trying to get back to things as usual. With any luck, all seasons will go without a hitch, and the Harbormen and Harborwomen can get their winning ways.