Ah Summmer… Reading?

The mural in the 180s hallway.

Photo courtesy of Hingham High School Website

The mural in the 180s hallway.

Brooke Coughlan, Contributing Writer

As the 2015-­2016 school year spirals to a rapid end, both the student body and staff hold mixed feelings about this year. For some, this year was about finding their way in the high school, for others it was about visiting colleges and writing their admission essays. After the constant grind of the school year, most are happy to see the academic year ending and summer beginning.

With days spent with friends absorbed in the sun, most students kick back into cruise control, and enjoy their few short months of freedom. Although many students here at Hingham High School have various commitments in the summer, whether it be sports, volunteer work or summer jobs, it is clear that the summer is not nearly as much as a mental grind as the school year. A topic that students may often roll their eyes towards would be the idea of summer reading, which serves the purpose of keeping the students reading proficiency intact throughout the summer and to continue literary growth.

This year, high school students are offered a wide spread of books ranging from mystery to memoirs. The incoming 9th graders are required to read The Curious of the Dog in the Night­Time, and have a diverse selection of choice novels to choose from, including, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part­-Time Indian, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and The Human Comedy.

For incoming 10th graders, the required novel is Girl in Translation, with a bouquet of choice reading books like City of Beasts, Every Day if for the Thief and In the Pond.

For students entering 11th grade, the required book is A Farewell to Arms, with a wide range of choice books including The Tortilla Curtain, March, Peace Like a River and Animal Dreams.

Kayla Sherman, a rising sophomore, will be taking AP Language next year and is required to read several books for the AP class and submit a writing assignment at the end of the summer. She said “I know that this summer will be a grind with all of the work I have ahead of me, but I think in the end it will be worth it!”

Any incoming senior who is taking the Advanced Placement Literature is required to read A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and two other titles chosen from the AP English Literature summer reading list. For non- AP seniors the required book is The Glass Castle: A Memoir with choices such as The Black Ice, The Film Club and The Kite Runner.

Students will also be assessed on the content of these books through thesis essays and other evaluations in the early weeks of September. Summer

Obtaining copies of the summer reading books will be a challenge in late summer, so it is suggested that students either buy or borrow their books early and start reading.

Happy summer…reading!