HHS Music Program’s Wonderful Winter Welcome

Delaney Coppola

Seniors Sarah Bryden and Charlotte Andrews show their decorated light up bows for the combined band and orchestra finale.

Delaney Coppola, Contributing Writer

This Tuesday the 21st, Hingham High School opened up its auditorium doors to welcome bundled parents, students, and music lovers alike inside from the icy December winds. The Band and Orchestra Winter Concert surely warmed the hearts of its audience, and added a sense of festivity and cheer to the holiday season. With an added Livestream option, the concert attracted attention and provided a show to onlookers both in person and from home! Senior Kate Schembri listened from the auditorium and reflected, “It was so beautiful seeing kids from all grades and all instruments make music together after two years of social distancing and separation.”

Starting off the concert, Hingham High’s Orchestra led by Mrs. Sassano performed Gustav Holst’s In the Bleak Midwinter, in a performance that was anything but bleak! Although it was the most recent addition to the orchestra’s repertoire for this performance, Senior Caroline Bastardi reveals, “Despite only practicing this song for about a week and a half, my dad said it was his favorite.” Next, the combined, all-grade strings ensemble played themes from Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet, followed by the energetic Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky. Featuring solos from Junior Nick Germain, Senior Tetor Ngheim, and Senior Dylan Murphy, Rite of Spring musically outlines a sacrificial spring ritual and famously caused a riot at its 1913 premiere. 

Next, to take the stage, the Concert Band directed by Rosemary Hoitt performed a spectacular rendition of David Holsinger’s A Childhood Hymn, followed by Erik Morales’s Rythmn of the Spheres. Described as containing “epic melodies with intricate harmonies” and creating careful connections between “celestial sounds and powerful countermelodies” by JW Pepper, this selection impressed the audience with its positive energy and commitment, and talent of the players behind the instruments. 

The second section of band instruments, the Wind Ensemble, continued the concert festivities with Jack Stamp’s Gavorkna Fanfare. This upbeat and exciting first piece captured the audience’s attention leading into the final selections of the winter production. The Ensemble continued with O Magnum Mysterium by Morten Lauridsen and closed their section of the concert with John Zdechlik’s Chorale and Shaker Dance. This final piece truly showcased the talent, togetherness, focus, and endurance of the Wind Ensemble team lasting about 9 minutes in length!

Ending the night in a holiday-themed finale, both bands and the orchestra combined to form a giant, festive ensemble complete with Santa hats and bows lined with holiday lights. In a giant, uplifting rendition of Christmas Eve/Saravejo, the music program delivered a culmination full of cheer and celebration! Senior violinist Emily Conroy shares her excitement stating, “One of my favorite parts of the concert was when the band and orchestra played the Christmas Sarajevo piece. I thought it was nice to play with them again like we did a few years ago and get in the holiday spirit!” With the lively concert starting the holiday season with an enthusiastic note, happiest wishes to everyone this holiday season!