A Thrilling Week in Hingham High School Athletics

Chris Christo / Boston Herald

Hingham celebrates its first goal of the night versus Catholic Memorial during a 3-1

Chris Carr, Contributing Writer

Here is a look at some of the highlights from the action-packed week of sports at Hingham High School 

Wednesday, February 8th – Hingham Boys Hockey Knocks Off No.2 Seeded Catholic Memorial 3-1

Hingham Anchor said it best, “If you weren’t at Pilgrim tonight to watch the Harbormen take on Catholic Memorial, you might be the only one.” This game was a statement win as the boys cemented themselves as one of the best in Massachusetts. I witnessed a terrific back-and-forth battle between two of the top teams in the state alongside an amazing crowd, concluding in a 3-1 victory for the Harbormen and marking win number 600 for Head Coach Tony Messina in the record books. Goals came from Joe Hennessey, Travis Rugg, and an empty-netter by Ace Concannon to secure the victory. 

Friday, February 10th – Liam McBride reaches 1,000 Career Points in Hingham Boys 

Basketball’s 65-57 Win over Duxbury

In front of an electrifying crowd, the boys put on an absolute show against their rival, the Duxbury Dragons, on senior night. Approaching the 1,000-point mark in the last regular season game at Hingham High School, Senior guard Liam McBride knew he wanted to break the record in front of his hometown fans. He did just that. With 2 minutes and 54 seconds left in the 3rd quarter of the game, McBride drained a three, leading to a timeout which was followed up by a storming of the court by the student section and a celebration at half-court. However, it didn’t end there. Duxbury showed up to play, but Hingham rose to the challenge late in the game, helped by McBride’s 23-point effort, Chase Mello’s 20 points, and Danny Kent’s 17 rebounds. Members of the student section surprised McBride and the team after the game to celebrate the milestone and victory. Liam is the first boy in the history of the program to reach this amazing feat.

Friday, February 10th – Hingham Football Hires New Head Coach T.J. Byrne

On Saturday, the Hingham Football Team named a new head coach, yet a familiar face. T.J. Byrne will make his return to Hingham next fall, leaving a talented Weymouth program in favor of his hometown. After the announcement on Friday afternoon, Byrne was both honored and excited to coach the Harbormen program. Byrne is well-traveled around the football coaching landscape, making stops at Weymouth, Scituate, Sharon, and Sacred Heart high, before making the comeback to the town he has lived in for over 15 years. I know both T.J. and the Hingham Football program are excited about this hire and I can’t wait to watch them take the field next fall. 

Saturday, February 11th – Hingham Boys Hockey Notches Impressive 5-2 Comeback Victory Over No. 10 St. John’s Shrewsbury

In the midst of playing 3 top-10 teams in the span of 5 days, many Harbormen fans believed that the boys were completely exhausted and their energy was drained after the victory over Catholic Memorial on Wednesday. Hingham looked like the better team on the ice, but couldn’t break away yet. Then, all hope seemed to be lost after 2 early goals from St. John’s Shrewsbury as the life was completely sucked out of the building. However, a turning point arrived late in the second period. The boys found their groove thanks to Danny Carroll’s snipe from the point and a deflection from Connor Richardson. The momentum carried through into the final period with a power play goal from Ace Concannon and two late insurance goals from Aidan Brazel.

Sunday, February 12th – Hingham Boys Hockey Surrenders Heartbreaking Loss to No. 5 Arlington 1-0 in Ed Burns Tournament Finale

Just when you thought it was over, the Harbormen traveled to Watertown alongside a great amount of Hingham’s student section, the Red Army to face off against a tough Arlington squad in the championship game of the Ed Burns tournament on Super Bowl Sunday. A showdown between two physical teams led to no goals in regulation. Both teams seemed to be in rhythm, but neither could put any pucks through the twine. Harbormen goalie Luke McLellan was stellar between the pipes along with Arlington’s Jake Davies. However, late in the 4-on-4 overtime period, the Spy Ponders tucked in a controversial goal that was reviewed and eventually upheld to seal the deal. Many fans argued for a goalie interference call, but the referees saw it differently, and just like that, despite an astounding effort from the boys, Arlington was crowned as the Ed Burns tournament champions. However, I believe the taste of losing in that fashion will fuel the team with some motivation as they prepare to face Arlington again in the playoffs. Not to mention, Arlington knocked Hingham out late in the playoffs last year which should serve as even more bulletin board material for Tony Messina’s squad late in the season. 

Other Notable Events: 

Tuesday, February 7th – Hingham Girls Basketball Wins 67-41 Over Silver Lake On Senior Night

Thursday, February 9th – Hingham Girls Hockey Sophomore Caroline Doherty Nets 7 Goals En Route to an 8-3 Win over Norwell

Friday, February 10th – Hingham Senior Clara Bodnar Named Patriot League Keenan Division MVP for Girls Swimming

Friday, February 10th – Hingham Girls Basketball Travels to Duxbury, Earning a 51-48 Win

Saturday, February 11th – Hingham Girls Hockey Shuts Out Quincy 6-0