Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Halloween vs. Homework; which should take priority for students?

HHS+on+Halloween+%0ABy%3A+Will+Sartor+
HHS on Halloween By: Will Sartor

Halloween is a favorite holiday for many. Whether trick or treating, going to a party, or just handing out candy, students at HHS found many fun things to do this Tuesday night.

However, many students can’t help but feel that they could have done more had there been less homework handed out that night. It goes without saying that designated no-homework days, or weekends, aren’t a foreign concept, as often there are two weekends a school year when the school asks teachers to assign less homework. So why isn’t Halloween night one of these days? 

This is a position that I, quite frankly, am pretty adamant about. The justification supplied by many is either that (a) unlike the weekends, which are, well, weekends, Halloween can fall on any given day of the week and changes year to year, so it may be especially difficult for teachers to arrange their schedule around. I recognize the difficulties this can cause, but it may be less effective for students and teachers to leave the system as it is. This is because (b) students will naturally be able to accomplish less on Halloween night. This isn’t just because they’re out with friends either; as junior Nicky Harris recalled, “I live in a pretty big neighborhood, and this meant that there were people trick or treating at and around my house for most of the evening. That makes it pretty hard to study and get work done, as you might imagine.” 

And lastly (c) that being that students should prioritize homework and teachers often naturally assign less homework. Junior Rowan Giardino found this to be the case, stating that, “I think I was pretty lucky, and I didn’t have too much work Halloween night, leaving me open to doing some fun stuff with friends.” Though, he still recounted that, “I  still put off some school work, even some that was due the next day, in order to make time.”

Students wouldn’t be put in such a predicament, sacrificing one or the other, if Halloween was a no-homework day.

Halloween decor around Hingham High School
By: Will Sartor