Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Reaching New Heights: A Recap on the Hingham Boys Soccer Team

Full team photo of the Hingham Boys soccer team and their coaching staff Credit-Josh Ross

While the Hingham boys’ soccer season was cut short with a heartbreaking 1-0 loss to Oliver Ames on Saturday, overall, it was still a great success. The Harbormen won a total of 19 hard-fought games this year and made it to the Elite Eight in the Division 2 playoffs. Saturday’s game was entertaining, with great goalie play from Junior Jacob Riker, keeping Hingham in the game and supplying the team with great chances. The defending D2 champions, Oliver Ames, scored in the 65th minute to send the Harbormen home and head to the semi-finals.

The season began with modest expectations, with only 5 returning starters from last year’s team. However, everyone stepped up and played one of the best seasons the team has ever had. The Harbormen started the playoffs with a 7-0 win against Woburn Memorial. Then, junior Brayden Lawler scored a 1-0 win against West Springfield with a goal late in the second half.

Not only are various Seniors leaving the team this year, but legendary coach Ken Carlin is also hanging up the clipboard. Carlin began coaching in 1999 and brought a unique style of play into the Hingham program. Senior defenseman Colin Burke looks back at Carlin’s last season, saying, “I’m glad we were able to have a great season for the coaches. The energy was high all year, and he pushed us to give it our all.” It is safe to say this year was definitely a memorable one for Carlin, and his style of play was a key factor in the team’s success.

Thanks to Carlin, the JV and Freshman teams have been built up to become very strong. They focus on player development, leading young players to shine on the field. The team comprises mostly juniors and sophomores, with numerous promising JV players. Star player Alessandro Neyra is one of many juniors returning for the next season. When asked about the team next year, Sophomore defender Jack Monroe responded, “We lost a lot of great guys, including two motivating captains. But we have numerous amazing Juniors and skilled Sophomores returning next year.” It is safe to say Hingham Boys soccer is setting up to have another great season next year.

Senior defenseman Colin Burke heading the ball during Saturday’s game vs Oliver Ames Credit-Joss Ross