Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Harborwomen Hockey: A Battle Against Plymouth

Joshua Ross

The Plymouth girls’ hockey team arrived at Pilgrim Ice Arena on Wednesday, January 31, to face the Harborwomen with an aggressive attitude. Before the game started, the girls began with their signature warm-up with music blaring through the arena.

Cassie Mccabe describes, “The warm-up at the very beginning is so important because even though it’s five minutes, it basically sets the tone for our intensity throughout the next three periods. We need always to be working hard during it and concentrating on our shots because it not only helps us as individual players but also challenges and helps our other teammates. My favorite part about it is warming up with my defense partner since the lines are always changing I think it’s good I get to work with whoever I’m playing with that day to get a feel for their passing”.

They proceeded to the national anthem as all of the players anticipated the first puck drop. The intensity was palpable as the starting lineup skated onto the ice. The first period was tense as both teams were not letting down a fight. After just about ten minutes of hard work, Senior Reese Pompeo scored the first goal of the game. They continued to work hard and got the second goal of the night with almost 30 seconds left, scored by Sophomore Alexa Harris.  

The lead didn’t cause the harborwomen to slack off as they entered the ice for the second period, playing just as strong as the first. The first goal of the period was scored by Plymouth after putting up a strong fight at the beginning of the game but this was the only goal the harborwomen allowed in the second period. 

After 10 minutes in the locker room, both teams stepped onto the ice with an ambition to win in the last period. Plymouth scored the first goal of the period which excited the opposing fans in the stands. With the game tied both teams felt the pressure to win even more. Sophomore Alexa Harris scored her second goal of the night getting the Harborwomen the upper hand.

Plymouth removed their goalie to add another player on the ice in an attempt to catch up to the Harborwomen’s lead. This ultimately led them to be at a disadvantage as Junior Addy Garrity scored an empty net goal.

Supportive of her teammates, Junior Helen Concannon describes the team’s work, “Reese Pompeo had a great goal out front assisted by Caroline Doherty. It was a good game and Isabel McCabe played really good. Isabel had a great shot that hit the pipe and everyone was going crazy. Plymouth then tied it 2-2 in the third and sophomore Alexa Harris ripped top shelf. To seal the deal Addy Garrity got an empty netter and the harborwomen got the DUB.”