HHS Drama Club’s Hello, Dolly!

Rose Flynn, Junior Editor

Holy cabooses! This past week, Hingham High School’s Drama Club presented their fall musical, Hello, Dolly! Many students worked for months in the cast, crew, and pit under the guidance of director and drama teacher, Ms. Sisk, all leading up to a wonderful spectacle to be remembered.

Taking place in 1890’s New York City, the musical featured senior Mackenzie Hunt as Dolly Levi, professional matchmaker. Throughout the play, Dolly woo’s crowds and sets up many couples. In an attempt to pair up Cornelius Hackl and Irene Malloy, played by senior Evan Ayer and junior Stephanie Pett, Barnaby Tucker, junior Nick Raephelson and senior Gabrielle Fluet, and Ambrose Kemper played by senior Josh Crosby and Ermengarde played by sophomore Megan Prescott, Dolly leads the cast through disastrous dates at the “Harmonia Gardens”, into court, but inevitably allows everyone to find love. Along the way, she even ends up with the grumpy millionaire Horace Vandergelder, played by senior Liam Nahil.

A large group of other students worked in the crew and pit of the show. Seniors Hayden Woodyatt and Evan Zona led the backstage crew through numerous rapid set changes, and junior Rose McDonald and her props crew immaculately decorated the set, really bringing the show to life. The set itself was constructed by senior Paul Barber and his construction team, and was designed teachers by Mr. Doherty, Ms. Sisk, Mr. Faherty, and myself. Costumes mistress Julia Monz and her crew, designed and developed lovely, intricate, period costumes for the show, and the makeup crew led by senior Molly Rabinovitz truly brought characters to life. Junior Emma Gilmore led the lights and sound, creating a wonderful atmosphere.

The show’s music could not have existed without the help of HHS’ band and orchestra members who played in the pit conducted by the school’s orchestra teacher, Ms. Sassano. Many other teachers and adults helped in the creation of this show. Ms. Fish of Hingham Middle School, Elizabeth Tronni, and HHS biology teacher Ms. Campbell all helped in the choreography of the show. The music of the show was directed by Christopher Landis. The Drama club bids adieu to Hello, Dolly! and prepares for their winter METG Festival Piece this February.12243402_1147067985306032_3356290731336314971_n