HHS Winter Band Concert 2015

Shira Berkin

One of the many signs made for specific band students, in this case Senior Jacob Goldman

Shira Berkin, Contributing Writer

Each year, the Hingham High School band program holds its winter concert in the High School’s auditorium.

This year the Jazz Band, Chamber Winds, Concert Band, and Wind Ensemble played beautifully. In total, there were eleven songs performed, including some with more than one part.

The Jazz Band started off the program with “Blue Bossa”, a casual and loose way to begin the evening. Then, Stephanie Pett, a talented singer and flautist, sang “Embraceable You” with the band, a soulful song which highlighted her talent.Jazz Band ended their performance with “How High the Moon” and “Hit the Bricks.” Both pieces displayed the Jazz Band’s hard work and appreciation for the music.

After a short gear change, the Chamber Winds Played a very impressive and powerful “Psalm 46” which was both complex and intriguing. Concert Band then played a bright and exciting “Fanfare for the Third Planet”, along with a deep and intense “Ammerland.” They  finished with “March of the Trolls.”

The Wind Ensemble was the last performance of the night. The group began with an intricate and stirring piece called “Mother Earth Fanfare”, later moving onto a more soothing piece called “The Seal Lullaby”, and finishing with an extremely impressive four-­part “English Folksong Suite”.

The band felt extremely supported by its fellow orchestra friends who came to cheer them on. Many made signs for specific members of the band, including Kristine McLellan, Laurence Wilson, Jacob Goldman, and Samantha Garland. The entire atmosphere was very positive, and the band will be supporting the orchestra very similarly next Thursday at their winter concert. Senior Annie O’Donnell, a member of the orchestra, commented, “The band never fails to amaze me and I am so proud of them”. Senior Rafael Sogomonian agreed saying, “It was an unbelievable performance! David Leen gave an astounding bassoon performance”. The supportive atmosphere definitely contributed to the success of the night. Congratulations to all who participated!