Super Tuesday

%28Left+to+Right%29+Seniors+Collin+Parker%2C+Ryan+Parker%2C+sophomore+Brendan+Chase%2C+and+seniors+Lulu+Wiley+and+Chris+Curran+hold+signs+for+Democratic+candidate+Bernie+Sanders.+

Addy Stupin

(Left to Right) Seniors Collin Parker, Ryan Parker, sophomore Brendan Chase, and seniors Lulu Wiley and Chris Curran hold signs for Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders.

Addy Stupin, Editor-in-Chief

This past Tuesday, March 1, was “Super Tuesday.” Super Tuesday refers to the Tuesday on which several states, typically the largest amount, are eligible to hold their presidential primary elections or caucuses. Among the states included was Massachusetts, who held their primary election. Many seniors at Hingham High who have already turned 18 years old were qualified to vote, an exciting prospect. Several seniors, and teacher, proudly wore their “I voted!” stickers as badges of honor. Abby Donohue, a senior who was able to vote, said, “Voting is an important part of a healthy democracy. We need to exercise our privilege to vote in order to make changes that need to be made.” When asked about her experience with voting for the first time she simply but excitedly described it as, “awesome.”

Students also got involved with the election through rallying. A small-but-mighty group of students showed their support for their candidate of choice, Bernie Sanders, with signs and enthusiasm. They were active before and after school, standing by the front entrance of the school where they were very visible to passing cars and potential voters.

In terms of results, Hillary Clinton won the Democratic primary for Massachusetts and Donald Trump won the Republican primary. The United States presidential election with be held on November 8, 2016. Remember, if eligible, to vote, as every vote counts!