The GOAT is off to Greener Pastures

New+England+Patriots+quarterback+Tom+Brady+leaves+the+field+after+the+Patriots+defeated+the+Houston+Texans+34-16+in+an+NFL+divisional+playoff+football+game%2C+Saturday%2C+Jan.+14%2C+2017%2C+in+Foxborough%2C+Mass.+

AP Photo/Steven Senne

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady leaves the field after the Patriots defeated the Houston Texans 34-16 in an NFL divisional playoff football game, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017, in Foxborough, Mass.

Cam Cyr, Contributing Writer

After winning six Super Bowls, and three most valuable player awards (MVP), quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots announced Tuesday, March 17th, that he is leaving the Patriots. He announced that he will join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 2020 season, and he reached out on Twitter thanking the Patriots for the excellent memories and friendships he made.

Shortly after Brady’s announcement, Patriots’ personnel, including star wide receiver Julian Edelman, coach Bill Belichick, and owner Robert Kraft, responded with gratitude. In a very powerful message, owner Robert Kraft responded, “‘While sad today, the overwhelming feeling I have is appreciation for his countless contributions to our team and community, I now look forward to the day we can bring him back home to New England to celebrate his Patriots career, his endless achievements and his legacy as the greatest of all time. I love him very much’” (cnbc.com).

Brady greatly impacted the community in New England, by co-founding TB12, and by his charitable donations and work for Best Buddies International and Boys and Girls Club of America. He has become a role model for people around the world, and has united the people of New England. His nickname the G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time), exemplifies his contributions on and off the field.

To Hingham High school sophomore John Steele, “The name Tom Brady means so much more than it sounds. He was a pillar of the community who showed what it is meant to be a true Patriot. Brady embodied the spirit of the community to win no matter the circumstances. He was so much more than a legend to the community of Massachusetts.”

Tom Brady leaves big shoes to fill for the next quarterback of the New England Patriots. Who can step up and provide success for the Patriots? Who will start this year? According to HHS sophomore Quinn Sheehan, he believes, “Jared Stidham will start for the Patriots next year because Belichick is known for trusting the system the Patriots impose.” Trading for former Patriot Jacoby Brissett, the Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, or acquiring former MVP on the Carolina Panthers from free agency are also possible options.

It will be interesting to see who the Patriots role with as their starting quarterback. Although the chances of finding another Tom Brady is very low, can the Patriots find another quarterback who can consistently win games? Drop your comments below.