A Sports Trifecta: NBA Resumes, NFL Begins, and NHL Crowns A Champion

After being injured for most of the series, Lightning Captain Steven Stamkos joins his teams celebration, hoisting the Stanley Cup.

Jason Franson

After being injured for most of the series, Lightning Captain Steven Stamkos joins his team’s celebration, hoisting the Stanley Cup.

Cam Cyr, Contributing Writer

After a 3 month long anticipation for sports to resume, many fans across the globe are enjoying playoff basketball and hockey, and are experiencing an astonishing football season. Although the NBA and NHL are in “bubbles”, and all 3 sports only allow few to no fans, the respective seasons have run smoothly.  

NBA:

The NBA championship series is starting on Wednesday, September 30th, featuring two young and inexperienced teams. The two teams will play the full series in Orlando, Florida, as they have for their entire playoff runs. All of the games will be broadcasted on ABC.

The 5 seeded Miami Heat are representing the Eastern Conference after defeating the Indiana Pacers, the Milwaukee Bucks, and the Boston Celtics. Freshman Mark Pryor from Hingham High School stated, “It was tough to see the Celtics go out like that. We looked very good going into the series, but Miami’s three-point shooting and zone defense were too much for Brad Stevens and the Celtics.” Backed by small forward (SF) Jimmy Butler, their 5-time all-star and league most improved player in 2015, the young and inexperienced Heat are known for their terrific three-point shooting and outstanding defense. Coach Erik Spoelstra looks to add a third NBA championship trophy to his collection.

After beating the Portland Trail Blazers, Houston Rockets, and the Denver Nuggets, the 1 seeded Los Angeles Lakers represent the Western Conference. Led by the 3-time champion, and 4 time most valuable player Lebron James. Surrounded by a young core known for their fast-break offense and ball movement, Coach Frank Vogel looks to secure Los Angeles’s first title since 2010.

NHL:

The NHL wrapped up its final Stanley Cup Playoff game on Monday, September 28th, where the Tampa Bay Lightning defeated the Dallas Stars 2-0. Tampa Bay dominated Dallas the whole series, winning the series 4-2. The Lightning’s quick offensive attack and outstanding goaltending led the way for Tampa Bay’s 2 Stanley Cup. 

To advance to the Stanley Cup, the 2 seeded champions defeated the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Boston Bruins, and the New York Islanders in a compelling fashion. The 3 seeded Dallas Stars beat the Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche, and Vegas Golden Knights to reach the Stanley Cup finals. Rick Bowness’s Stars physical brand of hockey advanced them through the playoffs but was outmatched by a quick offense led by strategic coach Jon Cooper.

NFL:

After 2 weeks of a successful COVID-19 free NFL season, the Tennessee Titans have been plagued with several cases, resulting in a postponed Titans-Steelers game originally scheduled for Sunday. The Minnesota Vikings organization, who played the Titans in week 3, tested negative and will be able to participate in their game on Sunday against the Texans.  Although there have been a few setbacks, the league still plans to continue the season and has taken the initiative to implement more COVID-19 guidelines. 

In the three weeks of action-packed football, many teams have impressed local fan bases and die-hard football fans. The biggest surprise to NFL viewers is the Chicago Bears hot start despite searching for a permanent starting quarterback. Their defense has led the way to a surprising 3-0 start. The defending Super Bowl Champions, the Kansas City Chiefs are off to a 3-0 start, still with the core group of players that won. They have also added rookie running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire from LSU with the 32nd pick in the draft, and extended quarterback Patrick Mahomes contract.  

Even without Tom Brady under center, the New England Patriots are still dominating the league. Quarterback Cam Newton has risen to the challenge to lead the young Patriots offense to a 2-1 start. Hingham High School senior, Evan Corbett confirms, “It’s been a huge surprise that the Patriots offense is still moving the ball down the field efficiently. Cam Newton has boosted our rushing game.”  Much like the offense, the defense is also thriving, even without many star defensive players because of their decisions to opt-out of the season.

Based on the first three weeks of the season, I boldly predict that the Seattle Seahawks will face off against the Baltimore Ravens. Even though the Ravens were pulverized by the Chiefs last week, quarterback Lamar Jackson’s elusiveness and improvisation will lead them to a Super Bowl appearance. Coach Pete Carroll’s Seahawks have started off the season in a groove, going 3-0 and while lighting up the scoreboard. They are led by quarterback Russell Wilson, running back Chris Carson, and wide receiver Tyler Lockett. I believe after a high scoring affair, the Baltimore Ravens will raise the Lombardi Trophy in a 31-28 game.  

Feel free to comment below about your current sports opinions.