Hurricane Ian Pummels Florida

A+man+walks+through+what+used+to+be+a+neighborhood+but+now+is+just+a+ripped+up+street+surrounded+by+destroyed+homes.+

Ricardo Arduengo

A man walks through what used to be a neighborhood but now is just a ripped up street surrounded by destroyed homes.

Josie Pappone, Contributing Writer

Florida’s deadliest hurricane since 1935 struck on September 28, 2022. This hurricane became infamously known as Hurricane Ian. This storm was classified as Category 4, meaning it fostered winds of 130-156 mph and led to catastrophic damage. 

More than 2 million Floridian residents were left with no power for days, many prompted to evacuate their homes because of immense flooding and wreckage. Florida’s eastern coast saw a whopping 30 inches of rain during the prime of the storm. 

In addition to Florida, places like Trinidad and Tobago, Cuba, Jamaica, Colombia, and the Cayman Islands are still recovering from this natural disaster. 

As of right now, the hurricane’s death toll is 137 individuals, and that number is increasing as medical examiners are searching through the wreckage. This disturbing data marks Hurricane Ian as the second most deadly natural disaster that has plagued the United States in the 21st century, after Hurricane Katrina. 

Many HHS students are understandably shocked by this information, one being Ashley Dong who says, “It’s crazy thinking about how hard Florida was hit, considering we hardly ever have to worry about hurricanes around here.”

Many believe that this storm can be attributed to climate change. According to a WGCU article, the intensity of natural disasters like Hurricane Ian may be a result of the concerning sea level rising and global temperature increase in the last century. Although a direct line cannot be drawn between Hurricane Ian and global warming, it is almost impossible to deny the connection between the two, however miniscule it may be. 

For example, the globe has experienced more rainfall than ever due to rising temperatures. According to WGCU, “For every 2 degrees Fahrenheit of warming, there is about 8% more water in the atmosphere.” So it is no surprise that we are seeing an influx in devastating storms like Hurricane Ian. 

So what can we do about this issue? Senior Lily Andrey sums it up well; “Even though it’s a tragic event I hope it makes lawmakers more conscientious of the serious consequences of climate change.” 

Change starts by informing those around you and bringing it to the attention of lawmakers in hopes of enacting laws to combat climate change. Despite Hurricane Ian being a catastrophic event, it also serves as an important lesson to people worldwide about the consequences of passivity.