Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Hingham Girls Volleyball Sweeps Hanover in 3 Straight Sets

Junior Caitlin Truong serving the ball in the third set for Hingham. Kaitlyn Manning

On Monday, September 25, the girls’ volleyball team took on the Hanover Hawks at the Hingham High School gym. The team got fired up during warm-ups as the JV and Freshman teams cheered them on. The gym was filled with all sorts of spectators such as friends and family, with a significant number of youth volleyball players there to support the team as well. Captains Nora Andrews, Nora Schulze, and Angelina Palek led the team throughout warm-ups and were consistent motivators during the game.

The team has a brand new coach this year, but they are all working well together already. As sophomore Meghan Koenen said, “This season is really different with a new coach and lots of new teammates filling in the spots of last year’s senior class, so it’s a lot to warm up to so fast, but I’m really proud of how far we’ve come since our first game”. 

The team opened up strong as they led the entirety of the first set. They eventually won with the final score of the set being 25-20. After the short break between sets, they started once again leading the whole time. They ended up winning this next set as well, 25-14. However, Hanover took the lead several times during the last set, but Hingham’s teamwork, communication, and grit allowed them to win the set by a score of 25-17. Much credit can be given to junior Caitlin Truong who served a series of unanswered points that led Hingham to clinch the win. Additionally, junior Mia Sacco was quick on her feet as she returned several big serves to make some great saves from the back row. Setter Olivia Tamburro placed the ball with precision to captain Nora Schulze resulting in points on the board for Hingham. 

The team traveled to Duxbury on Wednesday, and although the results were not what they had hoped, they are still proud of their teamwork. Captain Angelina Palek said, “I’m super proud of our team for bouncing back and sweeping Hanover earlier this week. It gave us momentum going into a tough match on Wednesday and we look to beat Quincy this Friday”.