Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell prepares to reveal a draft pick during the 2022 NFL draft. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)
NFL Draft Preview
Cavan Nicholas, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Hingham High Kicks Off the New School Year

After over two and a half months of glorious Summer, the Hingham High community made its return to school on September 5. As is tradition, the newly crowned seniors distinguished themselves with red, class of 2024 T-shirts. As a few freshmen found out the hard way, the first week of school means super homerooms, 20 minute periods in which students, assigned to rooms alphabetically, receive important forms and information. 

The parking system was also redesigned this year, prioritizing the seniors. Unlike last year’s $40 close lot sticker, the administration held a lottery in which seniors who desired close spots entered their name into a pool of other seniors. Twenty seniors were selected at random to be assigned parking in close lot, and the rest who applied were given numbered spots in the far parking lot. 

The first week of classes was by no means a breeze for the underclassmen, as new teachers, harder classes, and greater expectations all added up. Freshman Noel Eigenmann said “This first week has been really tough because of my schedule changes. It feels like I have too many classes, and they’re all piling on work already”. Numerous others shared this sentiment, and are working to get back in the swing of things. Sophomore Ethan Warhaftig found that “coming back to school this year was easier than in previous years. I already knew what high school would be like, so it wasn’t as big of a transition for me. Even still, the process was not completely smooth”. 

The seniors are also feeling the pressure. Although senior year is supposed to be a time to make memories, have fun, and spend time with friends, the fall is no easy time. The majority of the senior class at Hingham is working through the college application process, a very difficult and stressful endeavor that requires countless hours of writing emails, crafting essays, and making visits. The effort of the class of 2024 will most definitely pay off in the spring when their futures are set and they can relax and enjoy the remaining time of their high school experience. 

The start of the school year always proves difficult at first, but many students are happy to be back in a routine and start up fall sports. Football, soccer, golf, field hockey, and track are looking for a strong opening to their respective seasons. Many students have expressed their excitement to begin going to watch games and meets after school, ready to show their Hingham spirit.