Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Best Ways to Stay Active in the Winter

The bike room featured at Cycle Town Studio. (Kristen Grossman)

Studies show that physical fitness contributes largely to people’s emotional wellbeing and their quality of life. While the summertime provides many excuses to go outside, people often struggle to stay in shape during the colder months. As New Year’s Resolutions are made, and people reflect on the past year, here are six great ways to stay active during the winter. 

Sports

For younger individuals in particular, sports are a wonderful way to keep in shape and get involved with the community. Whether playing is centralized around a long-term goal or just for fun, participation is sure to keep you healthy and lively during the cold. At Hingham High School, options include both men’s and women’s basketball, hockey, wrestling, ski team, and track and field. Although many assume sports are limited to the youth, adult leagues scatter the South Shore, allowing for new connections and opportunities. 

Planet Fitness 

Another more flexible method of exercise is a gym membership at Planet Fitness. Located in North Hingham, Planet Fitness remains a hotspot for all ages. Through Monday to Friday, the gym is open 24 hours a day, but these hours change on the weekends. By providing both instructed classes as well personal freedom, people can focus on their own goals and needs. This local option is affordable and provides student rates as well. A great spot to relieve everyday stress, Planet Fitness allows people to stay fit yearlong. Senior Izzy Whitlock uses her membership in the winters following the end of her field hockey seasons. She says that, “The gym is always a good break from my schoolwork because it allows me to focus on something different. I love to go with a friend later in the afternoon when it is less crowded.” 

Magnitude

A similar gym to Planet Fitness is Magnitude, located in Norwell. Many school sports recommended this gym to help athletes prepare for their season, but it is by no means limited to experienced individuals. Magnitude offers a wide range of sessions ranging from adult, youth, speed, group and private classes. By promoting healthy lifestyle and tracking accomplishments, Magnitude provides a great way to focus on goals without distractions. Sophomore Sydney Bowyer regularly attends Magnitude sessions in her offseasons. She says that, “The class intensity and instructors definitely make you work, but leaving that gym gives me a real sense of accomplishment.” 

Peloton 

If you are looking for a reliable and at home version of exercise, Peloton provides the ideal atmosphere. While most people assume Peloton only offers cycle classes with the at-home bike, there is a large range of sessions available in the app. Options include pilates, strength, stretching, yoga, cardio, and meditation. By allowing their audience to select the music, instructor, duration, and difficulty of the class, Peloton exceeds people’s expectations of “personalization”. The workouts generally do not take up much space and the company is known for dedicated and relatable instructors. During the winter, when time may be limited or weather could be bad, Peloton is a great way to stay in shape within the confines of your home. 

Cycle Town 

Cycle Town is a perfect option for people who crave the accomplished feeling of working out, but also want to have fun at the same time. At this studio, individuals ride stationary bikes in a “night club setting” while riding and dancing to music mashups. The fun filled environment sets Cycle Town apart from other studios. With fluorescent lights and a sound proof room, Cycle Town encourages people of all ages to be the best versions of themselves once they hop on the bike. Classes range in difficulty and focus on different muscle groups, but they always include an enthusiastic instructor who prioritizes the rider. Founded by a local Hingham resident, Kristen Grossman, this studio centers around finding rhythm and building fun. Located in downtown Hingham, Cycle Town is a great opportunity to stay active in the winter. 

Krigsman Yoga Studio 

A more relaxing but also challenging way to stay in shape is yoga in Hingham’s town square. By focusing on meditation as well as strengthening, yoga classes can significantly improve one’s mental and physical wellbeing. A large component of yoga centers around building strength and finding balance. Ranging in difficulties and age group sessions, Krigsman offers a magnitude of different possibilities to explore on every day of the week. With experienced instructors, beginners are welcome to learn the art of yoga and exercise. The studio is a great place to attend with friends yearlong. 

Each option appeals to different needs and pleasures, but all methods serve the common purpose of providing both a fun and active environment to work on self improvement. Although these choices serve as great ways to stay in shape, people can work out without spending money as well. The South Shore is scattered with parks like Wompatuck and Bare Cove and beaches such as Nantasket and Hingham’s Bathing Beach. Bundling up and going for a walk or run is sure to release built up stress. Another option can be simple workouts at home using weights, online classes, or other resources that may be laying in a basement! Although the chilly winter months challenge people’s physical and mental state at times, studies prove that exercising consistently helps one’s wellbeing.

Krigsman Yoga Studio located in Downtown Hingham. (Lynn Barclay)