Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Harborwomen Hockey Season Ends in Elite Eight

Freshman Callie Crean wins the face-off in Wednesday nights game against Malden Catholic.
Anna Post
Freshman Callie Crean wins the face-off in Wednesday night’s game against Malden Catholic.

This past Wednesday night, Harborwomen hockey gave it their all on the ice but ultimately fell short in their 4-1 game against Malden Catholic. Going into the game, the Harborwomen were the underdogs, ranking 5th compared to Malden ranking just above them at 4th. The Harborwomen had played them once but the game had tied 1-1, so anyone could have won this game. 

When the first period began, you could tell it was going to be a fight until the end. Both teams played aggressively both on offense and defense and the game was neck and neck. Players from both teams took many exceptional shots, but the first to go in was from Hingham’s junior captain, Caroline Doherty, who scored at 6:46 in the first period. 

For the rest of that period, no other goals were scored but everybody knew it was still anyone’s game. Going into the second period, no goals were scored on either net until 10:19 when sophomore Abby Poole on Malden Catholic scored her team’s first goal of the night. Although the other team had scored, Hingham remained calm and focused to try to regain their lead. 

Again within the second period, sophomore Abby Poole unfortunately scored her second goal of the night at 3:25, making the score 2-1. Once more, Hingham remained motivated and maintained their valiant effort against Malden, determined to make a comeback. In this period as well, both teams had some great shots but alas, Malden Catholic’s goalie Taylor Daley played exceptionally well that night. 

Going into the third period you could feel the anxious energy exuded by the Hingham fans. “Can they do it?” everyone thought. After all, Malden was ranked higher and a private school that was able to recruit their players. However, although they put up a substantial fight, the Harborwomen’s shots just did not end up going in the net. At 5:22 in the third period, Malden’s Bella Gillis scored her team’s third goal of the night and with 2.6 seconds left, Abby Poole scored once again, making the score 4-1 Malden. 

Even though this loss marked the end of the Harborwomen’s season, everyone played tremendously and left everything out on the ice. You could truly see everyone’s love and passion for the game which made the loss even harder to take. But ultimately, the girls had a hugely successful season and were one of the best teams in the league. The end was bittersweet for both the fans and players because the Harborwomen had such an amazing season. An avid fan and game attendee, sophomore Julie Jacobus speaks for everyone as she shared “I’m sad that the season had to come to an end. I loved coming to all of the games and I’m proud of everyone who was involved.” 

A player who made a tremendous impact on the defensive end that night, sophomore Katie Teague added, “This season was my favorite so far; we all improved so much, and even though we lost, we gave our best effort, and I am so grateful that I got to play with such a hardworking, supportive team.” 

Overall, although it was not ideal that their season had to end this way, many of the girls, as well as their supporters are proud of the season they get to look back upon. Additionally, they are optimistic about their future seasons playing with and watching the team. Senior Captain Isabel McCabe reflected on the game, “I think everyone played well and it was a good last game to have. I loved playing with my team this year. It was a great season and I’m excited to watch them win it all next year!”