Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Hingham Defeats North Quincy 4-1

Veronica+Ruth+plays+singles+for+the+first+time+during+the+season+and+fought+hard.+
Joshua Ross
Veronica Ruth plays singles for the first time during the season and fought hard.

On Tuesday, April 23rd, the Hingham Girls Tennis team took on North Quincy at Hingham High School. This season, the tennis team has won four matches and lost one. With many returning players and new members, the team is set up to have a consistent, and impressive season. 

Starting this year, the team received three new coaches who will hopefully help the girls travel far into the tournament. The new head coach, Steve Berger, has been involved with the team for many years and now holds the title of head coach. The two new assistant coaches, Gretchen Price and Jen Platt are a great addition to the tennis program. 

The match against North Quincy on Tuesday added a win to the girl’s record with Hingham a 4-1 win. Starting at the singles courts, on court one, sophomore Sam Ruddick took the win with the score being 6-0, 6-1. Sam Ruddick has achieved many wins this year and is a great part of the team. She stated, “The Hingham Girls Tennis Team is an amazing program to be a part of. All of the players have fun, and the skill on the team is off the charts.” This is her second year on the varsity roster, and she will continue to lead Hingham to victory. On court two, sophomore Veronica Ruth fought hard. She took the first set with a 6-2 win but lost 6-4 in the second set. Going into a tiebreaker, the team was ready to cheer on Veronica. Unfortunately, Ruth lost in a tiebreaker, but she still put all her energy into the singles match. 

Moving on to the doubles courts, Cassie McCabe and Ellie Clark took Quincy out with a 6-1, 6-1 win. Cassie McCabe had some epic serves and Clark was outstanding at the net. McCabe stated, “Playing doubles is such a fun game and I love playing with Ellie. We had a great match and I am really looking forward to the rest of the season.” Also taking the win, Samira Giannaros and Mia Sacco beat North Quincy 6-0, 6-1. 

After all matches, Hingham defeated North Quincy overall. Only losing one singles game, the Hingham High School team is off to a great start and will hopefully have an outstanding season.