Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

All About the HHS Chess Club

Sophomore Luke Desantis playing freshman Noel Eigenmann on a mini chess board

With the 2023-2024 school year well underway, the Hingham High School chess club is back for its second year. What is the chess club? Well it is all in the name. There is a weekly, Friday morning meeting, where the members play chess against each other. Luke DeSantis, a sophomore at HHS, described the club as, “really fun and chill. Most days we just mess around, playing standard chess and some variations.”

Though it is not just for good chess players, as the club is open to newcomers and experts alike. For many, chess is a straightforward game, but for others, it can be pretty intimidating. Although some of the best players in the club are able to memorize specific openings, gambits, and tactics, none of that knowledge is required to join or play well. That being said, if one would like to learn strategies like these, the chess club is the place to learn. Stronger players can direct newcomers to openings and refer them to resources that can make them better chess players.  

While the majority of meetings are casual, and newcomers can pick and choose meetings they want to come to, the chess club also has more formal events. Last year, the club conducted a series of inter-club tournaments which often reached more than twenty players. These are returning, with Co-Presiedent Junior Herbert Seto stating that, “There will be tournaments on the horizon. It’s a great club, and the tournaments might be the best part.” With an expanded team planning events in the second year of this club, there may even be tournaments against other schools in the future. 

Whether coming only one time to see what it is like, or becoming a member, give chess club a try. Co-President Ryan Chang reiterates, “We’re here every Friday at 7:15 in room 172.  Stop by one time to learn more about the game, play a match or two, and have fun.”

View Comments (1)